PDA

View Full Version : Best resources for learning period technique?

Allan Brown
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
After discovering Adam Cherubini's various writings, etc., I've become interested in learning more about not only period furniture, but also the construction methods and techniques used by 18th and 19th cent. artisans. I'm looking into the SAPFM (Society of American Period Furniture Makers) but would like to find a group dedicated to the methods, as well.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Allan

John Dykes
08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow! Great link! I've never heard of this guy, but he's got a library of great podcasts. When I first saw it, I thought of that Wood Whisperer fella (which provides very little interest to me) - and about passed on w/out a second look.

Scanning through his podcast library, I saw a few things that popped out to me, "Hey, it takes real skill to do that!" Watched a few and was impressed...

I recommend taking a look...

- jbd in Denver

mike holden
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
it is a bit out of your way, near Lancaster PA, but the Olde Mill Shoppe has both Bess Naylor and Gene Landon as instructors. Better instruction in handtool work is hard to find.
Classes with Alan Breed would also be good.
If you can take a couple of years off (grin!) the North Bennett Street School is another place to learn.
The SAPFM group in Texas is quite active, and there may be a local school or someone in the group willing to help.
Post in the SAPFM forum under the Texas chapter.
Mike

Robert Rozaieski
08-29-2008, 2:23 PM
I would start by reading the Joinery sections of Joseph Moxon's Mechanik Exercises (written in the late 17th century) and Peter Nicholson's Mechanic's Companion (last eddition in 1845). These books are obviously no longer in print so you'll need to get them from the library. However, for 18th and 19th century techniques, there is no English language equal. Now if you can read 18th century French, Ruobo's volumes are supposed to be unbeatable. I'm personally waiting for the English translation currently being spearheaded by Chris Schwarz. I don't speak French.

Robert Rozaieski
08-29-2008, 2:26 PM
I also recommend Jeffrey Greene's book American Furniture of the 18th Century. Lots of great information in there about not only the period and the furniture but also the tools and techniques. It's a fabulous modern day volume I find myself referencing all the time.

Allan Brown
08-29-2008, 2:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been collecting a variety of books, but may have overlooked Greene's; and have been scouring for a copy of Moxon's tome -- one that's affordable. Adam Cherubini suggested perhaps the EAIA as a resource, but even he admits there's really no such guild around today whose purpose is the examination of methods and techniques of 18th &19th c. wood working. I'm on the SAPFM forum (posted a message on the Lone Star Chapter site), but the activity throughout all those forums is pretty sparse.

What would some of you folks here on the Neander site think about a forum dedicated to Traditional Methods & Techniques? :rolleyes:

Just a thought....
Allan

Michael Faurot
08-29-2008, 3:08 PM
What would some of you folks here on the Neander site think about a forum dedicated to Traditional Methods & Techniques? :rolleyes:

I'd say create a few threads about the topic here in the Neander forum and see what the responses are, and if there's enough traffic--then ask about creating a new forum.

Robert Rozaieski
08-29-2008, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been collecting a variety of books, but may have overlooked Greene's; and have been scouring for a copy of Moxon's tome -- one that's affordable. Adam Cherubini suggested perhaps the EAIA as a resource, but even he admits there's really no such guild around today whose purpose is the examination of methods and techniques of 18th &19th c. wood working. I'm on the SAPFM forum (posted a message on the Lone Star Chapter site), but the activity throughout all those forums is pretty sparse.

Just a thought....
Allan

Allan,
I got Moxon's book from the library and scanned the sections I wanted. While it would be nice to have a copy of the book, the prices that copies seem to get are a little outrageous so I settled for scanned chapters. Nicholson's book is available in it's entirety scanned for free on Google.
Bob

Dave Anderson NH
08-30-2008, 9:07 AM
Several notes Alan. SAPFM does have several chapters which are very active and hold regular meetings with demos on technique. The annual Working Wood in the 18th Century seminar each January at Colonial Williamsburg is devoted to furniture made with 18th century techniques. Moxon's book is readily available in reprint form through almost any bookstore or direct from the publisher It's quite reasonable in price and is an Astragal Press reprint. Astragal and Dover both republish a huge variety of books interesting to the Neander, the tool collector, and the period furnituremaker.

Allan Brown
08-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks, Dave! My girlfriend and I are already planning a trip to Colonial Williamsburg just for the purpose of viewing Mack and his demos. I've also been scouring various bookstores, etc. for Moxon's, but haven't found it at Astragal...maybe I'm just not seeing it. And I've also sent out some feelers through SAPFM for local/area contacts. I've a number of other good references as have been recommended by various woodworkers, and, of course, draw inspiration from Adam Cherubini's efforts at promoting this art.

Which brings me back to my earlier question, which you could perhaps answer: Would there be any interest on this forum for a Traditional Techniques and Methods group? Granted, it would be rather small...but I can't help but think that there could possibly be a group of devotees that would like to share information regarding 18th & 19th century arts and mysteries. What do you think?
Allan

Stephen Shepherd
08-30-2008, 4:51 PM
in such a forum.

Stephen

John Stan
08-30-2008, 6:42 PM
Thanks, Dave! My girlfriend and I are already planning a trip to Colonial Williamsburg just for the purpose of viewing Mack and his demos. I've also been scouring various bookstores, etc. for Moxon's, but haven't found it at Astragal...maybe I'm just not seeing it. And I've also sent out some feelers through SAPFM for local/area contacts. I've a number of other good references as have been recommended by various woodworkers, and, of course, draw inspiration from Adam Cherubini's efforts at promoting this art.

Which brings me back to my earlier question, which you could perhaps answer: Would there be any interest on this forum for a Traditional Techniques and Methods group? Granted, it would be rather small...but I can't help but think that there could possibly be a group of devotees that would like to share information regarding 18th & 19th century arts and mysteries. What do you think?
Allan
Allan,
Mack's Brother, Jeff Headly conducts regular classes on period furniture making techniques. I just took a week long class from him and built a federal hall cabinet with French Feet. It was fantastic. These classes are a bit out of your way and are held in Berryville VA. Search on his web site wwotsv or Mack Headley and Sons.
no affiliation, just a happy learner.
-JDS

Allan Brown
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
John,
Thanks much for the information. I would really like to see your project -- as I'm sure other Creekers would as well. Perhaps you could post some photos in the projects forum!:)l

Peter Evans
08-31-2008, 3:13 AM
Moxon is available online at Early English Books Online http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home. You need to log in through a participating library. There are a lot in US. In Australia, the State Library of NSW has remote access to EEBO, and you can get a library card online if you are a NSW resident. http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/system/forms/selfreg.html. You need the card number to get online access.

John Stan
08-31-2008, 7:51 AM
I will post something when I finish it. We almost completed it in the week long class. I still have some clean up work to do and a finish to apply.
I will say the class was outstanding as there were two instructors and only 4 students. So I got a lot of dedicated attention. For me most of the techniques in the class were a learning experience - Veneer, Dovetails, etc.

Johnny Kleso
08-31-2008, 8:25 PM
Lonnie Byrd has a book that Tauton put out called Period Furinture Details which is a lot like the Shaping Wood Book he also wrote..

I think 21 forums are more than enough btw

"Gary Brewer"
09-03-2008, 9:33 PM
Allan: I agree with Mike. If you want to learn 18th century carving skills then Allan Breed's intro to carving is outstanding. He does a great job and is in his prime professionally. He adds a whole host of experiences to the class. If you want to make 18th century furniture with mostly 18th century tools and techniques than Olde Mill Cabinet Shop with Gene Landon as the instructor is superb and owner Bess Naylor is great to work with. Both high quality and very nice people. I took both classes this year and I am very pleased with what I learned, what I made and the whole experience. Working with a master woodworker on a project is a very affective way to learn the skills.
FWIW,
Gary

Roy Griggs
09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Allan,
You might look at the classes at Homestead Heritage in Waco.

HomesteadHeritage.com (http://www.homesteadheritage.com/)

Paul Sellers is a quite good teacher...

Go LHS Westerners...(1967)

roy