PDA

View Full Version : The Chairmaker's Workshop-Drew Langsner

Dustin Nickerson
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Just picked up this book, after seeing it about a year ago, and doing some searching I couldn't find it for less than $178.00.

It is now back and can be bought from the Author, for $50.00..It came back in the Authors Reprint Edition June 1 2008...

maybe is should have gone into the deals section...it can be found here..

http://countryworkshops.org/books.html

"All books purchased from Country Workshops come with an author's autograph. While supplies last we will include for no charge a set of enlarged plans that originally sold for $16.95 when the book was first published in 1997."

Mike Henderson
08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
"Author's reprint edition" used to mean that the pages were copied from a previous edition - essentially Xeroxed. And there would be no color images inside - just on the cover.

What are the quality of the pictures are in it? And is there any color printing in it or is it all black and white?

Mike

James Ashburn
08-29-2008, 1:06 PM
From the description once I clicked the link, the photos are now black and white.

Raney Nelson
08-29-2008, 1:09 PM
Nike,

It's professionally printed by a small firm - and you're right about the photos (all B&W). It isn't the highest quality print I own, but it's quite good (not 'xerox' quality)... Mr. Langsner also had the chance to update some nagging little errors. When I spoke to him he was very happy he'd been able to do this. I think he found the prices of used copies very distressing. He said he was looking forward to watching the prices plummet on ebay.

I had been hunting for a copy of this for a couple years, and had never seen one for under about $225. I was thrilled with the reprint, and it really is an exceptionally good resource for anyone interested in green woodworking - chairs in particular. It's extraordinarily thorough, including plans and instructions for building chairmaker's benches, shaving horse, and even some tools (travisher, etc.)

Dustin Nickerson
08-29-2008, 1:34 PM
All photos are in B/W, I just got it yesterday. I skimmed through it, The post and rung chair is the exact same instructions you get from the " Make a chair from a tree" video by John Alexander. Which only makes sense, since he did teach at "Country Workshops".

All the jigs on the video are in the book.

I thought it was a great deal...

As it says on the site there are some instructions for tools, vises, and a shavehorse.

Robert Rozaieski
08-29-2008, 2:17 PM
I could never justify the prices I saw. I borriwed it from the library and scanned the entire book at work. The quality isn't as good as having the book, but you can't beat the price :D. I did the same with Dunbar's book since it also fetches similar prices.

Kees Laan
08-30-2008, 6:42 PM
I could never justify the prices I saw. I borriwed it from the library and scanned the entire book at work. The quality isn't as good as having the book, but you can't beat the price :D. I did the same with Dunbar's book since it also fetches similar prices.

not true. I offered the book at Amazon and priced it $20. No buyer :-(

So don't believe books are selling for that prices.