05-05-2004, 2:03 PM
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of termites--and synthetic stucco-- and rim joists--
Of PT plywood-- and cypress corner boards--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Apologies to Lewis Carroll.

I have found some termite damage and some water damage in the stringers beneath the bow window in the front of my house. The termite company has been out and pumped chemicals into the ground along the basement wall under the window and drilled holes in the mortar and pumped chemicals behind the brick veneer.

The space above, between, below, and under the windows is covered with synthetic stucco. Some moisture has gotten in there and been unable to escape, the bottom of the bay is cantilevered out from the poured basement about a foot above the ground, and it too is covered with synthetic stucco. The bottom 2 inches of the rim joist have termite and water damage. The termite company has agreed to replace the rim joists and put PT plywood under the bow if I remove the synthetic stucco to give them access.

I want to get rid of all the synthetic stucco. As I have a couple of cypress 2x4 left over from the shutter job, I plan to rip them to give me a couple of 3/4" boards to put between the brick molding on the windows - kind of like corner boards. I thinking of removing all the brick molding and replace it with plastic brick molding. I do have one window sill to replace, probably with plastic. For the flat areas above and below the windows, I plan to use 3/8" MDO plywood. I'll prime the back side of everything before it goes up with an oil base primer. Well, maybe not the plastic stuff.

I won't know the full extent of damage until I remove the synthetic stucco, there may be additional surprises.

Comments, questions, suggestions, concerns, are solicited.

Thanks,

Bob

Jamie Buxton
05-05-2004, 3:19 PM
You may have uncovered just the tip of a nasty iceberg. Synthetic stucco got a bad reputation because there are lots and lots of stories of water&termite damage behind it. The problem seems to be that while the stuff itself is waterproof, if water does get behind it (at maybe a window), there's no place for it to get out. Rot and termites ensue. There have been big class-action lawsuits about the issue. Manufacturers say that if the product is installed correctly, it is a good house exterior. There certainly are lots of houses covered with it, and that do not yet show damage.

The upshot is that you probably should look elsewhere around your house while you're in repair mode.

Chris Padilla
05-05-2004, 3:32 PM
Two houses in my neighborhood are all tented up for termite problems! :eek:

Byron Trantham
05-05-2004, 5:01 PM
Bob,
I can't think of anything worse than termites! :mad:

Good luck with the problem.