PDA

View Full Version : My Small Parts Trap fix for DC

Doug Shepard
08-29-2008, 8:47 AM
I've been doing some fret saw and filing work on abalone (pretty nasty stuff) at the drill press table so I can take advantage of the DC there. So after about 15 minutes of work on one of the pieces I bobbled it and watched it go sailing merrily up the DC intake:eek: Grrrr.
So this morning I hit the hardware store and a couple bucks later I've got a small parts trap fitting. I'm sure I'm not the first schmo to think of this but thought I'd post a couple pics. I cut a 4" piece of PVC and bought a coupler fitting and a piece of Pet Screen. It's pretty tough but still flexible. I cut darts to take the pucker out of the screen stretched taught over the PVC end. Then slowly started tapping the coupler over it (it's tight) until it was all the way in the coupler, then trimmed off the excess screen on the bottom edge. I can stick this on the end of my DP or sanding center intakes for working small stuff without worrying about watching my work go up the drain. It can be hooked to either a fitting or a straight PVC piece. Doesn't seem to be adversely affecting the dust pickup.

alex grams
08-29-2008, 9:28 AM
For catching metal screws and other ferrous items, i put about 3 of these magnets around the inlet to my DC separator. This helps catch screws and other iron shaving and such and keeps it out of my DC and out of the sawdust. (dime shown for reference time)

http://www.magnet4less.com/images/0.75X0.25.jpg
they each have about a 20lb pull force.