PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Acrylics, what's the difference?

Scott Shepherd
08-29-2008, 8:01 AM
I have a job that required mirrored acrylic and went to order some last week. My first thought was IPI's mirrored acrylic line, as it's the only mirrored acrylic line I have seen.

However, in looking through Johnson Plastics catalog, I found a product under Acrylic Sheet, Mirror. It had me do a double take on the pricing. Maybe I'm not understanding the products or pricing, and I thought someone here could help clear it up for me.

Acrylic Sheet, Mirror - $11.40 for a quarter sheet (12" x 24"), 1/8" thick.

IPI Silver Lazrmirr - $25.30 for a quarter sheet (12" x 24") of silver mirror, 3/32" thick

I bought the Acrylic Sheet mirror product and it's outstanding (photos to come this weekend in the sign section of the forum), so I'm wondering what the difference between the two products is.

Anyone know?

Joe Pelonio
08-29-2008, 8:46 AM
I pay about $15 for that size at my local plastic supply. I'm guessing here that IPI is marketing it as "made for the laser" (hence the name Lazrmirr)
and charging more for it, and Johnson is selling the same stuff found at other plastics places for other uses. It's like the many items at Laserbits that can be found elsewhere for less if you dig hard.

Mike Null
08-29-2008, 9:06 AM
With that kind of price difference my guess is that the lower priced sheet is extruded and the higher cast.

If you look at the Johnson catalog they feature another acrylic line called Color Cast which is quite a lot higher than the extruded line they offer.

Brian Robison
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Scott, I think the IPI one is a front laser engravable item. Seems like I've tried it and didn't think much of it.
Lasers in black. I've got some gold also with a black core.