PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to dado/router?

Artie Hall
08-29-2008, 7:38 AM
Hi everyone. There appears to be some great info and resources here. Could anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Instead of using, say, 3/4" plywood, I use 3/8" plywood, and glue the inner panels in such a way to make virtual grooves. This would be fairly easy using my table saw. Then, I'd cover the front seams with trim pieces. Since I'm not an experienced wood-worker, I may not see the flaws in this thinking.

http://www.neighborhost.com/house/forum/alt-cab-01.png

Thanks all.
Artie

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2008, 9:04 AM
That will work. However, you could use your table saw to cut the dados in 3/4" plywood. It would be quicker than going the lamination route.

Artie Hall
08-29-2008, 9:18 AM
Thanks Jamie. Part of my thinking is that this might be a stronger structure. Also, since I don't need to "slide" the shelves into a groove, the tolerances could be tighter. In other words, I'd build up the supports from the bottom up as I went.

Maybe not. :o

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2008, 9:27 AM
Thanks Jamie. Part of my thinking is that this might be a stronger structure. Also, since I don't need to "slide" the shelves into a groove, the tolerances could be tighter. In other words, I'd build up the supports from the bottom up as I went.

Maybe not. :o

If you laminate two 3/8" pieces of plywood, you'll get one 3/4" piece of plywood, so the structures should be similarly strong.

Me, I don't build a bookcase by depending on just those joints to hold it square. To prevent racking, I put a back on at least part of it.

Artie Hall
08-29-2008, 9:39 AM
I would definitely use a back also. My "Art" work doesn't show that. Part of the impetus for this idea came from a need to add some shelves deep within a closet. I thought it might be easier to cut all of the pieces and then build them up from the bottom from within the closet. As opposed to building a complete structure and trying to wrangle it in there.

John Schreiber
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Laminating two pieces of 3/8" plywood in place would be no picnic. It would be very hard to put pressure on the lamination all the way across.

If you are working inside a closet, I can see it, I would use a construction adhesive and nails. For most building though, carefully fit dadoes are the way to go.

Artie Hall
08-30-2008, 8:07 PM
Thats a good point, John. And one I hadn't thought of. I may have to test two pieces and see if this will be feasable.

glenn bradley
08-30-2008, 8:46 PM
Could anyone tell me if this is a bad idea?

Its one of those things that sounds good on paper. Even if your bookcase is only 10 inches deep or so, I can see some challenges providing even clamping pressure across the surface. Another challenge is that large laminations of that sort tend to creep.

It could be done but I think you are making a lot of work for yourself. If a frame is going to hide what's back there anyway, you could use cleats(?).

Artie Hall
08-31-2008, 6:38 AM
Another challenge is that large laminations of that sort tend to creep.

Thanks Glenn. Thats one more aspect that I didn't think of.

Jim Becker
08-31-2008, 5:02 PM
Artie, yes it will work as others have stated. But you may end up paying a lot more for your material as 1/2" (and presumably 3/8" ply if you can find it) cost nearly as much as 3/4" product.