PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Randy Carnley
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
I have been looking for several months to find a good used drill press. I finally found a Craftsman 15" with a one hp motor at a really good price. I checked it out before I brought it home. Everything worked fine. I had to lay it down to get it into the back of my Tundra. Brought it home, and when I plugged it into the receptacle I notice the lights dim and immediately started seeing smoke and hearing the sizzle of cooking electronics. I quickly unplugged the cord and as soon as I could get that acrid smoke cleared out, began to check the dp out. First thing I noticed was a series of cuts into the power cord. Apparently this happened as we loaded the dp into my truck. Now I've got to figure how to get into the head and find out how to change out the cord and whatever else was toasted.

Lee Schierer
08-29-2008, 9:26 AM
You can make a good power cord inexpensively using a heavy duty extension cord. You may find it cheaper than buying cord and plug separately. Just be sure the wire is heavy enough for the current draw of your motor.