PDA

View Full Version : Beak Buffing System / 3 wheels on one shaft help?

richard poitras
08-28-2008, 9:23 PM
I have been thinking about getting a Beal Buffing System but have been waiting to find a 1750 rpm motor so I can make a designated system for buffing. Well I found a motor at a rummage sale for $10.00 (small gloat) with a switch and pulley on it and it works great so now I need to find (not sure what it’s called/mandrel?) a shaft so I can mount all 3 buffing wheels on it and have some space in between so I can get the piece being buffed polished up. Does anybody know a good place to buy a shaft with arbors on it to mount the 3 Beal polishing wheels? So that it can be mounted to a table top or board? Or even a way to make one that would work?

1. I don’t have a lathe and I don’t do bowels.

2. I am looking at maybe something 30’’ long so I can have room to work on the projects and not worried about hitting the other buffing wheels.

3. Also it will be mainly using for polishing small boxes.

Any ideas to get me from A to Z would be appreciated …

Thanks Richard

richard poitras
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
:confused: ??Know body ever do a 3 pad buffing system?? :eek:

Bob Fraser
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Jewelers alomost always have three wheel systems, as do many metal workers.
Find a jewelry supply shop or catalogue, for the mandrel fittings.

Tom Esh
08-29-2008, 7:11 PM
Not sure what the Beal mounting requirements are, but have a look at McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/
Looks like they have all the pieces - pulleys, arbors, shaft, pillow blocks, etc.

Eddie Darby
08-30-2008, 6:52 AM
Are you trying to make something like this, but for buffs instead?

http://www.mountainwoodcarvers.com/sharpeni1.htm

richard poitras
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back I was out of town for the week …Eddie, basically that is what I am look at doing but with the buffing wheels instead and making it longer for more room in-between, …but not sure what all the parts are called ….I think I will call “McMaster-Carr “ per Toms advice and see if they can help me design something out of there catalog ..

Thanks for the help Guys !