PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap from the air

Mitchell Andrus
08-28-2008, 8:30 PM
For those who know what this is..... (non NJ and PA folks just move along....)

My son and I flew over yesterday. I've been studying the NJ and PA formations for 30 years. This was thrilling to see from the air - pictures do it no justice. Rt 80 on the right, we're facing NW.

For those not up on the "gap" and it's significance..... It is one of the few places on the planet where a river was not diverted as the land over which it flowed rose. In other words, the Delaware continued to cut through a rising mountain as the mountain itself was being formed (wrinkled) when Europe smoooshed into NJ and NY.

George Morris
08-28-2008, 9:31 PM
that is kool!!!

Chuck Wintle
08-29-2008, 7:04 AM
That is a very interesting geological feature. :)

Glenn Clabo
08-29-2008, 7:26 AM
Cool...and the reason for your edit is funny;).

mike holden
08-29-2008, 7:36 AM
Yes the pic is really cool - and the edit is probably the "largest" mistake ever made on the creek (grinnnnnn!)
Mike

Andrew Derhammer
08-29-2008, 8:30 AM
It's a nice hike up to sunfish pond in those parts. Some beautiful hiking in that area.

Mitchell Andrus
08-29-2008, 8:36 AM
Cool...and the reason for your edit is funny;).
Senior moment

John Schreiber
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Beautiful photos and it must have been a nice flight. It's great to see geology in action.

Jerry Bruette
08-29-2008, 8:05 PM
For those who know what this is..... (non NJ and PA folks just move along....)

My son and I flew over yesterday. I've been studying the NJ and PA formations for 30 years. This was thrilling to see from the air - pictures do it no justice. Rt 80 on the right, we're facing NW.

For those not up on the "gap" and it's significance..... It is one of the few places on the planet where a river was not diverted as the land over which it flowed rose. In other words, the Delaware continued to cut through a rising mountain as the mountain itself was being formed (wrinkled) when Europe smoooshed into NJ and NY.

Drove through this area several times from NJ back home to WI when I was stationed at Earle, NJ. Definitely the scenic highlight of the two day trip.

Jason Roehl
08-29-2008, 8:25 PM
It's great to see geology in action.

I would think not. Usually you can't, and if you can, you won't be for much longer! :D

John Shuk
08-30-2008, 7:51 AM
I've driven through many times but that view is truly amazing. I never knew the signifigance of the area

Lee DeRaud
08-30-2008, 9:19 AM
For those not up on the "gap" and it's significance..... It is one of the few places on the planet where a river was not diverted as the land over which it flowed rose.One of the other places is a few hundred miles east of here:
You may have heard of it. :cool:

Mitchell Andrus
08-30-2008, 2:33 PM
One of the other places is a few hundred miles east of here:
You may have heard of it. :cool:

Show off!

Jamie Delker
08-31-2008, 8:25 PM
Awesome pics! I've driven through it a few times... it's definitely a place that makes you say "wow" when you're down in there.

Greg Just
09-02-2008, 8:40 PM
I used to live about 30 miles from the Gap in northern NJ. The park that runs along the river near the Gap is really beautiful. There is one area to the north that looks like a rain forest in the summer with a really nice waterfall. You can rent canoes in the area and float down the river. It is very calm through this area.