PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build a bed for your 4-legged friend?

Charles Wilson
08-28-2008, 7:59 PM
Looking to build a "bed" for my dog. I am interested in building one that will hold her dog bed (mat, pillow) in or on it.

1) Any pics would be appreciated.

2) Any particular model of beds (pillow, mat) from retailers you can recommend for my Lab?

Thanks,

Chuck

Mike Heidrick
08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
People made fun of me for this project but my friend and his dogs love it.

Copied a pottery barn bed that my friend owns. This bed uses an easily replaceable mat from Farm and Fleet. Buy the mat (one that the store has made for years) then build the bed to fit it.

Lee DeRaud
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Mostly he just grabs an Ozzy-sized chunk out of mine. :eek:
Luckily, he's a much smaller dog than you're showing here. :cool:

Mike Cutler
08-29-2008, 4:15 AM
That's a nice looking bed there Mike. I can't see why anyone that's ever owned a dog would laugh at it.

It looks like you should have built some bunk beds from that last pic. Someone's hogging the bed.;)

Joe Vincent
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I like the bed pictured above. I think a dog bed ideally needs at least one side with a verticle piece like the headboard on that bed because dogs seem to often like to nestle their backs up against something when they sleep. I think it probably gives them a feeling of security to have their back covered.

Greg Cole
08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
If I thought there was a prayer in he double toothpicks, I'd build our dog one.... but like Lee said, thankfully our pooch is MUCH smaller that those in the pic above. All 18 lbs of him fits in between the wife 'n' I and we rarely know he's there except for the SNORING.:rolleyes:

Greg

Chris Stolicky
08-29-2008, 3:57 PM
People made fun of me for this project but my friend and his dogs love it.

Copied a pottery barn bed that my friend owns. This bed uses an easily replaceable mat from Farm and Fleet. Buy the mat (one that the store has made for years) then build the bed to fit it.

Hey, nice Weim (or is that two?) My Weim simply drags his bed around the house and lies next to us wherever we happen to be, so me building one wouldn't make sense.

As far as an idea, I like the concept of a simple platform with a small headboard of sorts, like mentioned above.