PDA

View Full Version : Creative ways to power a Powermatic 3520b lathe?

Joshua Dinerstein
08-28-2008, 5:27 PM
Ok. Lately I have been asking a number of odd questions so why stop now! :)

I am hoping someone here with a much greater level of understanding than myself of power systems and lathes will be able to help me out.

I finally got the OK and the funds together to order my Mustard. I had been looking at a used one or going for a new one. Part of the impetus was the message that was posted here saying the price was going up substantially in the next few days.

I want one. I have the OK from the LOML to get it. She is the greatest btw... But I have concern about power. We are looking to move in the next little while, read 3 months at the most, so I don't want to go through the trouble of a 220 line if I don't have too. Plus I worry about the next place . And in the interim place we are planning to head back to her old condo which has a nice 2-car garage just for us but only has 110 power down into it.

So I don't want to buy it, get hooked on it, and then have to live without it for awhile. So I was wondering. Does anyone know of another way to power it? Could I use a generator? Are there step-up tranformers that would work? or ???

Is it a bad idea for some reason? I know I could drive my old HF lathe off of one but it is just a plain old motor with no electronics. The mustard having the 1-ph to 3-ph converter and the variable speed just leaves me wondering.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever had to do it or done it just for the heck of it?

I would love any feedback of any kind so please feel free to chime in.

Joshua

Mike Vickery
08-28-2008, 5:41 PM
Not saying I recommend it but I knew a guy that ran a long homemade extension cord from his dryer hookup to his lathe.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-28-2008, 6:11 PM
Not saying I recommend it but I knew a guy that ran a long homemade extension cord from his dryer hookup to his lathe.
Unfortunately in our new destination that would be down an outside wall 3 stories to the shared parking area. I am not sure I would every be able to get permission to run a cord that long.

But I suppose permission is easier to get than forgiveness...

I was just on HF website and they have a 110/220 generator head that is belt driven. So no motor. I just wonder if I could power it at all with a 110 motor. Then just go from a 110 via the motor to the generator head to the lathe. But at some point it is getting rediculous to wire up things like that. :(

Joshua

Bill Kesler
08-28-2008, 6:13 PM
If you look in the owners manual when you get it it will tell you the size of the extension cord in relation to length. The run from the dryer will work if its not real far.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2008, 6:15 PM
You could get the Jet 1642 1.5 hp at 110V? I know it is not a mustard but that one or a Nova DVR XP which I have would solve your problem about 220 V. My Nova can be wired for either 110 V or 220 V which it why I got it besides the smaller footprint. I will be getting 220 V in the shop hopefully the first of the year but as of now I have turned for 1 1/2 yrs on it and really it has handled anything I have thrown at it. Just a thought.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-28-2008, 6:31 PM
You could get the Jet 1642 1.5 hp at 110V? I know it is not a mustard but that one or a Nova DVR XP which I have would solve your problem about 220 V. My Nova can be wired for either 110 V or 220 V which it why I got it besides the smaller footprint. I will be getting 220 V in the shop hopefully the first of the year but as of now I have turned for 1 1/2 yrs on it and really it has handled anything I have thrown at it. Just a thought.
That is actually my fall back plan. I have read a number of reviews on it and it is a good machine. The Jet that is. I know little about the nova. IIRC that was the one that wasn't variable speed without a belt change and I was trying to get away from that.

Anyway if I can't make the power work I will have to get something else. IN my current home, the one the wife hates, the run from the dryer's unused plug, I plumb in a gas line, to where the lathe would go would be about... 18'. So it would be no problem.

I checked the manual and I could get away with a pretty good length of cable but not far I don't think in the new condo.

Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2008, 7:12 PM
Joshua the Nova DVR XP is a variable speed. The motor shaft is the headstock shaft. You change the speed with buttons. Another thing I like is if I am turning a knarly piece I can program it to soft and if I get a catch it will stop. Just hit the off button and then the on button and off you go. You can program in 5 preset speeds which I love and use 90% of the time. You are thinking of the 1624 Nova that is a belt change.

Steven DeMars
08-28-2008, 8:12 PM
Ok. Lately I have been asking a number of odd questions so why stop now! :)

I am hoping someone here with a much greater level of understanding than myself of power systems and lathes will be able to help me out.

I finally got the OK and the funds together to order my Mustard. I had been looking at a used one or going for a new one. Part of the impetus was the message that was posted here saying the price was going up substantially in the next few days.

I want one. I have the OK from the LOML to get it. She is the greatest btw... But I have concern about power. We are looking to move in the next little while, read 3 months at the most, so I don't want to go through the trouble of a 220 line if I don't have too. Plus I worry about the next place . And in the interim place we are planning to head back to her old condo which has a nice 2-car garage just for us but only has 110 power down into it.

So I don't want to buy it, get hooked on it, and then have to live without it for awhile. So I was wondering. Does anyone know of another way to power it? Could I use a generator? Are there step-up tranformers that would work? or ???

Is it a bad idea for some reason? I know I could drive my old HF lathe off of one but it is just a plain old motor with no electronics. The mustard having the 1-ph to 3-ph converter and the variable speed just leaves me wondering.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever had to do it or done it just for the heck of it?

I would love any feedback of any kind so please feel free to chime in.

Joshua

Are you moving into something you or her will be the owner of ?

Explain the setup @ the first place.

Explain the setup at the second place.

I ask this, because what I would do is install a 220 receptacle right at the service panel & run a power cord that could handle the load.

Also HONDA makes a line of generators that will put out very clean power . .

Jim Kountz
08-28-2008, 8:20 PM
I just got the Jet 1642EVS and although its only been a little over 24 hours I love this thing to no end. I got to do an actual side by side with the PM 3520b and I cannot say anything at all bad about the machine, its one excellent piece of machinery. The thing that turned me off about it was the price difference and what you got for the extra money. You get another 1/2 hp and a 20" swing vs 16". But the headstock on the Jet can slide to the end of the bed allowing 20" or even more so that negated the swing difference for me. If you look at the legs, motor controls, tool rest (not the banjo just the rest) they are identical to the Jet. Same group owns both companies by the way. I just couldnt see the more than 1K difference in price for the PM. Heck the guy who sold it to me even admitted that he didnt feel the cost was justified and his entire shop is all PM stuff. I know alot of guys here have the PM and I dont mean to offend anyone at all, just giving my thoughts on it. Like I said, both machines are really really nice and will serve you well.

Wilbur Pan
08-28-2008, 8:49 PM
But the headstock on the Jet can slide to the end of the bed allowing 20" or even more so that negated the swing difference for me.

I thought the Powermatic allowed you to add a bed extension below the level of the main lathe, giving you a place to put the banjo/tool rest assembly, but that the Jet didn't have this feature. In which case, if you slid the headstock down to the end of the lathe to gain some extra swing, you would have to have a freestanding tool rest. Was I wrong about this?

Phillip Bogle
08-28-2008, 8:51 PM
I am looking at the Nova myself for the very reasons you mention. I have 120/220 but my service panel is maxed out. I could play around with extension cord or alternate wirings, BUT! If it isn't up to perfect code, some states allow insurance companies out of any claim when the code (law) is violated. Considered the generator, but the fumes are potentially dangerous even with good ventilation, and the noise is a problem with the neighbors. SO! I decided to pass on the PM or Oneway and go with the Nova. Not sure I really care if I change a belt or spin the dial. Just my musings on the subject.

The real annoyance is that my shop building that my wife's sewing business took over -- has 440amps 3 phase and she doesn't need it! I am retired and her business has to be in that zoned spot. Which is why I have the perplexing choice of tools based upon power availability not what I want.:mad:

Kurt Bird
08-28-2008, 9:02 PM
Phil,
A couple of things to consider: even if your panel is maxed, you could still tap into an existing 220 breaker, say the dryer, as long as the lathe and the dryer are not both on at the same time. Also, the VFD on the 3520B is actually three phase, and the owner's manual shows you how to connect it. That being said, you might want to download a manual first, just to confirm things. The 3520 is great, the Jet 1642 is very close also, and I think that if you include an electrician in your lathe budget, you won't have any problems with either choice! Good Luck!:)
Kurt Bird

Larry Marley
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
get the 3520b or you will wish you did from now on.

Three months? get it and wait.

or

Craig's list is loaded with generators. way less than list price and you can re-sell it once you are in your new place.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok. Sorry. I guess my mind was scrambling elsewhere and the message wasn't as clear as it could be.

Are you moving into something you or her will be the owner of ?
My wife and I got married about 4 months ago. A first marriage for us both though I am 39 and she is 35. What that means is we were both well established and had 'homes' of our own. I have a 3k sq foot house about 4 miles from her 3rd floor condo. She has "had it" with this area and so we are moving for 6 to 12 months into her old place. But that means I give up my garage and basement to go to a place that does have a "garage" of sorts for stuff but not like what I have here. Oh and it is about 1/3 the size of this place. I have been trying to talk her out of this for awhile but for whatever the reason it is killing here to live here instead of closer to the mountains east of Salt Lake City.

We own both places. But in her case it is a condo and there is a very serious HOA in charge of the area and it limits many thing.

Explain the setup @ the first place.The first place is my home. I own it I ran a 220 line to the garage in preparation for the new lathe. I also ran a few dedicated 20amp 110 lines for the dust collector etc... So using the lathe here would be no problem.

Explain the setup at the second place.It is a 3rd floor condo. There is underground parking directly beneath the building. It has a 2 car "garage" that belows to us as well. Think 3 wall cement box with floor and ceiling also done in cement. At the back of it, in front of the parked cars, there are 2 decent sized storage rooms. I will be moving my turning/wood working equipment into one of those. I am not sure that at this point much more than the lathe will fit in. The rest goes into storage.

The problem is that there is no way, as stated by the HOA, to get a 220 line in the garage. Oh I am sure it is possible just not something they are willing to do or let me do. There is 110 in each of the storage rooms as well as the garage. But I have no clue of if they are on the same circuit or not. Someone here pointed me to a box this evening that if you have 2 circuits of 110 will make 220. That would be cool. But I don't know how to tell if I am on the same circuit. Anyone now how to tell that?

I ask this, because what I would do is install a 220 receptacle right at the service panel & run a power cord that could handle the load.I thought about that. I could make a nice long extension cord. But it would have to run from the 3rd floor down a stair well through the door into the garage and around. I know for certain that her neighbors would complain about such an arrangement. It is just like kind of swanky place. Though I have to admit that it truly is a beautiful place. If it had the right power I would be more OK with it than I am. :)

Also HONDA makes a line of generators that will put out very clean power . .Yeah I don't want to pay for that much gas but I am feeling a tad... desperate I guess.

Thanks,
Joshua

Larry Marley
08-29-2008, 12:44 AM
I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw...

how about a mini lathe to get you by while the 3520 is in storage.

the generator, even a Honda may get neighbors twiterpated.

the price increase covers it and you could always sell it when you are done. Nothing like turning a small bowl in front of the TV in a 3rd floor condo.

Seriously, you may have to weigh the price of storage vs the price increase and the hassle of moving a 650lb machine.

or

rent a small shop space or a space in a shop, near your final destination and set up there.

Congratulations on the getting Married thing!

Ken Glass
08-29-2008, 5:52 AM
Joshua,
Get the mustard before they go up $500-700. Then with your excellent savings, rent an appropriate location for turning by the month. It doesn't have to have it all for now, it just needs 220v, since you are moving to a location to be named later. That way you have not made a big investment in the beautiful condo, and you can turn when you want, and as late as you want, without disturbing anyone. I'm sure you can find a small space to rent for the time being. You did say it would be only three months or so.

Brian Brown
08-29-2008, 9:32 AM
Here's the solution, and you'll get your workout at the same time. :D Just explain to the wife that you are multitasking. :eek: Wow, working out and multitasking. Just make sure your shoes match your handbag, and she will never be able to deny you time at the lathe! :rolleyes: (Remember, you did ask for creative ways!)

scott schmidt grasshopper
08-29-2008, 9:47 AM
sorry josh , you are soo screwed. you need to look at your HOA rules about using a storage area for a shop. I doubt you are going to get to make noise dust and after hours whatever in a storage area. no generator or dust collector running and waking the world. . I also think if your HOA wont allow wiring changes to 220 you are best to rethink buying the PM unless you are going to rent/ buy a shop somewhere else. I love my PM but . is it worth the money to try to go around no 220 aval? rethink and go with 110 volts. but then . you also have to see if you have enough power in your storage for that . most silly curcuits are 20 amps ( which you can only use 80% of ) how are you going to run a shop area on 18 amps??? good luck ( with the marriage and shop)

Barry Elder
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Living in the land of condos, let me suggest that you read the "Condo Docs" to find out if they specifically allow machinery. HOAs and Condo Docs tend to do whatever they want. If the Documents don't say you can set up a hobby shop and run a lathe in a residence, then maybe they will let you set it up in a common area such as a clubhouse or maybe they have a workshop area. Here in Florida, the condos are full of Boards of Directors who have God complexes and they tend to make life miserable for everyone else since they are not happy with their own life. Good Luck! and have a GREAT DAY!

Joshua Dinerstein
08-29-2008, 1:54 PM
Living in the land of condos, let me suggest that you read the "Condo Docs" to find out if they specifically allow machinery. HOAs and Condo Docs tend to do whatever they want. If the Documents don't say you can set up a hobby shop and run a lathe in a residence, then maybe they will let you set it up in a common area such as a clubhouse or maybe they have a workshop area. Here in Florida, the condos are full of Boards of Directors who have God complexes and they tend to make life miserable for everyone else since they are not happy with their own life. Good Luck! and have a GREAT DAY!
That is an excellent point! I should check with them to see what i can and can't do in the garage area of the condo.

Thanks,
Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
08-29-2008, 5:08 PM
Came up with the most reasonable one I guess... I am putting it into my Cousins garage for that short period of time we are in the condo. He likes to turn too. So he was amenable to the idea.

So he will use it on occasion I would guess, but at least I don't have to lose out on the deal nor do I have to buy it and not be able to use it at all. :)

So all in all it seemed to work out. So I called tool nut about 20 minutes short of the deal line and I got what I needed. A 3520b, a dust port, a spindle adapter, and an 18" extension bed. Figured if I was going to do it I should just do it all. :)

Thanks to one and all for the suggestions and help!
Joshua

Brian Weick
08-29-2008, 5:13 PM
Ok. Sorry. I guess my mind was scrambling elsewhere and the message wasn't as clear as it could be.

My wife and I got married about 4 months ago. A first marriage for us both though I am 39 and she is 35. What that means is we were both well established and had 'homes' of our own. I have a 3k sq foot house about 4 miles from her 3rd floor condo. She has "had it" with this area and so we are moving for 6 to 12 months into her old place. But that means I give up my garage and basement to go to a place that does have a "garage" of sorts for stuff but not like what I have here. Oh and it is about 1/3 the size of this place. I have been trying to talk her out of this for awhile but for whatever the reason it is killing here to live here instead of closer to the mountains east of Salt Lake City.

Thanks,
Joshua

No offense Josh, seriously, something doesn't sound write?

Was this move something that you both disgussed before you got married, or was this a , " Did I forgot to mention to you that we are selling your place and moving into my place " ? currently ~it sounds to me like you have a bigger problem other than running electricity to you're lathe, and I hope you get this resolved., sensibly, Just a thought ~ :D

Sincerely,
Brian,

Phil Thien
08-29-2008, 5:58 PM
But I suppose permission is easier to get than forgiveness...

You have that backwards... Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Maylon Harvey
08-29-2008, 9:24 PM
Joshua,
Get the mustard before they go up $500-700. Then with your excellent savings, rent an appropriate location for turning by the month. It doesn't have to have it all for now, it just needs 220v, since you are moving to a location to be named later. That way you have not made a big investment in the beautiful condo, and you can turn when you want, and as late as you want, without disturbing anyone. I'm sure you can find a small space to rent for the time being. You did say it would be only three months or so.

If you didn't order it today, it's to late. $700 increase as of Monday.