PDA

View Full Version : Target USL Question

Mike McCann
08-28-2008, 2:55 PM
Can the target USL be sprayed directly over BLO or does it need a coat of shellac first. I have read in here that is how most people do it but was not sure if the shellac coat was totally neccessary.

Steve Schoene
08-28-2008, 3:43 PM
Questions about adhesion and compatibility between materials are extremely difficult to answer because shortcomings may not really surface until well down the road. The question can really only be answered with scientific testing of statistically significant samples.

Probably the shellac wouldn't be needed if the BLO were fully cured. How long does that take? I don't know, but it could be a month. Is a week enough? How to know? So it just makes sense not to risk it. The cost is relatively low--one coat of DEWAXED shellac. The risk is great--a failed finish--probably requiring stripping and starting from the beginning.

Mike McCann
08-28-2008, 4:18 PM
Steve

thanks for the info. One coat of shellac it is then.

Michael Sobik
08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I always spray or wipe on at least one coat of shellac over BLO before I top it with USL. Seems to work great, and I didn't feel like risking the finish by skipping the shellac.