PDA

View Full Version : Completed Bowls

Paul Di Biasio
03-11-2003, 8:12 PM
These are 3 cherry bowls I completed this weekend. I rough turned them 2 years ago and did not have the time to finish them.

The bigger two were rough turned and left alone on a wire rack in the basement. The smaller (right most) was treated with Pentacryl.

After having used this treatment, I don't feel it is worth it. I bought a gallon, just to try it out. It was probably ready for finish turning before the others but when you wait 2 years, what difference does it make? In addition, you can see that it changed the color of the wood. And it kinda smells funny.

The bowl on the left is going to be donated to my kids school for a silent auction. They need to know what the value is. Does anyone know how much a 10 inch cherry bowl should sell for at a craft show?

Paul Di Biasio
03-11-2003, 8:17 PM
Who is going to the Woodworking show in Chantilly on Friday?

Harvey Meyer
03-11-2003, 8:39 PM
Nice bowls Paul. Cherry sure makes for some nice bowls. The coincidence is that I just donated a cherry bowl (posted a little before your thread) to a silent auction at my son's school. When they asked me for an estimated value I had no idea. I hadn't even finsihed the bowl yet so I wasn't really sure which bowl I was donating. They suggested $35 so I said that's fine. The amount is just for tax purposes. I'm curious to see what the auction brings in for the bowl. I've never sold or donated a bowl before (but I do give them for gifts).

The large bowl you turned must have come from log section about 13 - 14" wide to get a 10" bowl with no sapwood. Did you have any cracking during the 2 years of drying? If you read my post you can see the adventures I had.

Nice job -
Harvey

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-11-2003, 8:46 PM
The bowl on the left is going to be donated to my kids school for a silent auction. They need to know what the value is. Does anyone know how much a 10 inch cherry bowl should sell for at a craft show? [/B][/QUOTE]

Paul, I just sold a ten inch Cherry bowl for $45.00 and the lady didn't haggle over the price. She liked the bowl and was glad to pay the asking price. Now she wants two more ten inch bowls and six 6 inch bowls. Maybe I priced it too cheap? You can see my bowl on my "Weekend Accomplishments" on March 10. Good luck with the charity.

Bob Michaelson
03-11-2003, 8:46 PM
Those are beautiful Paul!

What grit did you sand them to and what is the final finish?

Bob

Jim Young
03-11-2003, 9:02 PM
Paul, Very nice looking bowls. The one on the far right sure is shiney. What is pentacryl? How did you finish them?

Von Bickley
03-11-2003, 9:06 PM
Paul,

Great looking bowls. Thanks for letting us see them.

Jim Baker
03-11-2003, 9:13 PM
Paul,
Those are some beautiful bowls.
Thanks for showing them to us.

Paul Di Biasio
03-11-2003, 9:39 PM
Harvey,
The tree was probably about 13in in diameter. I rough turned about a dozen bowls. Only one cracked a little because I kept the pith, bad idea. I did see your post. My guess is you went too fast. I use a moisture meter and wait until 9 to 12 pct before I do anything. I rough turned the wood to about 1 1/4 in thickness. The wood shrank quite a bit but well within the roughed dimensions. I also did a 14 inch bowl out of sweet gum. Not much grain or figure so I ebonized it.

Bob,
I find that if my gouge is sharp and I take a light cut I can get a real good finish. Sanding was done with a Souix drill with velcro power sander, grits 120, 150, 180, 220 & 280. I then sealed them with General Finishes' Seal-a-cell. Just followed the directions on the can and finished with Arm-a-seal, another General product. http://www.generalfinishes.com/ I bought the finish at Woodcraft.

Jim,
Pentacryl is like vegetable oil. You brush it on and it soaks in and replaces the water or something like that. It is suppose to greatly reduce checking and shrinking. Its about $50 bucks a gallon. Search on Yahoo and you will find a better explanation.

Some people love it. I would give it a try, especially on spalted pieces. See attached pix of an ambrosia beetle bowl from last year.

Richard Allen
03-11-2003, 9:58 PM
Hi Paul

I usualy multiply the diameter by the depth and add the value of the wood. If the wodd is particularly exceptional. Or has some special feature I add to the price. If the design is particulaly special I will add for that as well.

3x10 = 30

2 BF at $8 a BF for wild cherry

30 + 16 = 46

I usualy round up to the nearest $5

So I would price the big bowl at $50.

Then again I find it nearly imposible to let go of something as nice as that for at least a couple of months.

Thanks

Paul Di Biasio
03-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Richard,
Are you a member of the Capital Area Woodturners? I think I remember you. I had to drop out when they switched back to Sat. meetings.

With 3 young boys, Sat mornings are for sports, not woodturning.
I liked the group purchases and seeing everyones work. For some reason they stopped sending me the newsletter, I thought that was dumb. I know its hard to please everyone, but it sure hurts those with young boys and girls in sports. Mom can't be in three places a one time.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to bid $40 myself. Can't see it going for less. I will be happy if it goes over $60. It might, last year my Shaker boxes went for $50 a piece.

Nice lathe, you'll have to show it to me sometime.

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 7:57 AM
I really love the color. I've never seen such a warm red. Outstanding wood selection!

Jim Izat

Steve Jenkins
03-12-2003, 8:00 AM
nm

Richard Allen
03-12-2003, 9:52 AM
Hi Paul

I have been a member of CAW for a few years now. You can pick up a copy of the newsletter at WoodCraft. They are on the wall in the midist of the turning tools.

As far as coming by some evening. That would be great! E-mail me off-line and we can work something out. Maybe we could do a colabrative project. rick@gynia.com

Thanks

Randy Miller
03-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Really love the bowls! I'm still on the hunt for some green cherry, all I ever find is Maple ;-)

As for the price, well that's pretty much up to you. If it came out of a shop to sell at a craft fair - $50; if you call it a studio and your selling through a gallery - $250 :D

However you go, it will surely bring in some good $$ for the school. Let us know.

Regards,
Randy