PDA

View Full Version : Fish in a Barrel

Mike Null
08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I got a call today wanting to know if I could cut Coroplast with my laser. The people need about 30 fish for some kind of a children's game down at the St. Louis Arch.

I've never cut Coroplast and suggested they consider wood which I have on hand; also suggested sheet acrylic.

They're going to put vinyl images of fish on whatever I cut. The size will be about 12" x 4". I'd appreciate suggestions.

Gary Hair
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Mike,
I thought that coroplast was PVC based, but I googled an msds sheet and found it isn't. Here is part of the msds:

Hazardous Decomposition By-Products: Thermal decomposition and burning may produce Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide, and Hydrogen Bromide

All of that may sound a bit scary but those byproducts are present in most things that we laser. The only exception is the Hydrogen Bromide. When mixed with the moisture in the air it forms hydrobromic acid,but, with the proper ventilation I can't see it being a problem.

Gary

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I have done it several times. The hollow part does make it tricky to get the setting just right without too much melt. I found that cutting nearly thru with a follow up at much faster speed does a clean job. It is laser safe.

Mike Null
08-28-2008, 1:13 PM
Thank you both. I'll let my customer know we've got a choice of materials.