PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the luster on a pen???

Chris Yarish
08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I have just begun pen turning, and have just recently become satisfied with the finish I am able to achieve on my pens using Lee Valley's "Turner's Polish" (which, incidentally, is quite finicky IMO) and Shellawax.
CA glue really hasn't worked very well for me.

But, this being said, how can one maintain that hard earned luster on a pen after weeks or months or even years of use?

Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Chris I have made quite a few pens but by no means am I a expert. I have a pen I have been carrying for over two years now and the lustre has gone or the bright shiney new pen is not shiney anymore. It has taken on a new look which I like. The lustre has been repalced by the oils in my hands and now has kinda of a natural look now. My brother has one of my first pens he carries all the time and like I said has lost the shiney but has a natural patina about it from the oils from his hands. It still looks good just not shiney.

Brett Baldwin
08-28-2008, 12:54 PM
As far as I know, there is no way to both use the pen and retain the shine. The act of using it will degrade that polished finish with the dirt, oil, pressure and friction from your hand which will do in that shine fairly quickly. You could give it a quick polish with a microfiber cloth after using it and that would prolong the shine but short of putting the pen in a sealed case with UV glass, the finish will degrade with time and use.

Phil St.Germain
08-28-2008, 2:02 PM
I have made many pens and I have tried way too many finishes. I have found that CA is the most durable finish I have used. It can be a challenge to master, but I think it is worth the effort. My CA process is to just use straight CA and apply it with the baggie that the pens come in. My daily pen is over a year old and I have worn away some of the upgrade gold, but the finish is still nice and shiny

Benjamin Dahl
08-28-2008, 2:33 PM
I agree with Phil that CA is the answer. If I want a really bright shine, I use some friction polish after the CA is applied.

robert hainstock
08-28-2008, 3:13 PM
I have also tried several finishes over the years, and I too reccomend the CA If you have a buffing system. Most other finishes are just too soft to hod up with daily handling:):)
Bob

Jason Whelehon
08-28-2008, 3:31 PM
I use about 5 coats of thick CA with a good polishing with deluxing compound in between. The last coat is polished using Beal's 3 step process ending with carnuba wax. It's an easy finish once you learn the technique. My advice, get an accelerator spray, makes your life a lot easier!

Rich Stewart
08-29-2008, 2:08 AM
After three years using my pen I could care less what the finish looks like. I think most people are the same. Like I always say, To the untrained eye, all finishes are beautiful. Most eyes are untrained.

Christopher Fletcher
08-29-2008, 2:32 AM
Melamine maybe? I don't know how readily available it is for small scale use, but I know a lot of dining and end tables are now sold with a melamine top coats to eliminate scratching and denting. I found this manufacturer: Anu-Min (http://www.anupampaints.com/coatings/melamine.htm) , also try WOODLUX MELAMINE WOOD FINSISH (http://www.setcochemicals.net/pa1.htm#woodlux) , or Chesnut Melamine Finish (http://www.snaintonwoodturning.co.uk/shop.php) , oh yeah mylands too!

This is an excerpt from another turning forum:

If items are to be regularly handled and a more durable finish is required a Melamine finish can be applied as follows.
After producing a good finish to the bare surface by sanding etc. STOP THE LATHE and apply a very thin coat of Melamine avoid going over the same area twice and keep the application thin and even (You need to be quick) as melamine dries almost instantly and is hard to remove areas of over application.
More than one coat can be applied after drying but this is not recommended.
START THE LATHE and use a piece of 0000 grade Wire Wool dipped in a soft wax polish , I usually use the Petroleum based polish in this instance although it’s a matter of preference. With a soft cloth apply a little of the wax to give a polished surface, if this is considered to be to glossy cut back with a 0000 Wire Wool dipped in wax.

curtis rosche
08-29-2008, 9:52 AM
has any one tried epoxy? some are harder than the CA, i dont know how easy it would be but it might last longer