PDA

View Full Version : Photo Tent Help

Tom Bucanan
08-28-2008, 7:42 AM
I am going to build "Jaime Donaldson's Phrugal Photo Studio" setups (there was an old post that showed how to build one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57168)) The article shows foamcore 'panels' on each side to contain the light. Is this the best way to do it? Or, are there better alternatives (i.e. fabric, ...)?

Does anyone else have any improvements on the design that they would like to share? I am very excited to start taking photos of my bowls and sharing them, but I want to do it right

Ted Calver
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Tom,
I used a plain white sheet for mine. Just don't set it on fire!!

Phillip Bogle
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I have used almost everything. If the surface works it is perfect. Again each surface has its own qualities and that may be what you want or not. Bridal shots are done with silver reflectors, and portraits with gold. Gold gives a warm cast to skin, and makes a wedding dress look dirty. Silver will keep the dress looking sharp but can wash out the skin. That in mind you can play around with what you have and work with it. If you spend too much on the set up you might as well have a pro photographer do the job and spend your time turning.:D You can use an old appliance box that has been primed and painted flat wall white latex. A sheet does work just fine and may be the best choice, but a smoother surface will give you better control. Though you do want -- in a financial sense -- to avoid diminishing returns.

Hope that helps