PDA

View Full Version : Ten Commandments??

Jason Solodow
08-27-2008, 6:25 PM
Just cause I'm curious and like to play with words, does anyone know if they've ever seen a Woodturners Ten Commandments?

Leo Van Der Loo
08-27-2008, 6:48 PM
commandment 1 to 10, If it works for you it is the right way
If it works for you it is the right way
If it works for you it is the right way
etc
etc
etc

curtis rosche
08-27-2008, 7:15 PM
1, always have a chainsaw where ever you go
2,if it looks dangerous, it will probably turn out neat
3,turn till you can turn more
4, you can never have enough wood or tools
5, always go with the biggest lathe humanly possible
6,never drink dna
7, steve is the king of HF's
8 malcolm tibbets and bill wyko arent human, thus they dont make mistakes. disagree and chuck norris will show up
10 refer to #3

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 9:01 PM
1, always have a chainsaw where ever you go
2,if it looks dangerous, it will probably turn out neat
3,turn till you can turn more
4, you can never have enough wood or tools
5, always go with the biggest lathe humanly possible
6,never drink dna
7, steve is the king of HF's
8 malcolm tibbets and bill wyko arent human, thus they dont make mistakes. disagree and chuck norris will show up
10 refer to #3

I LOVED number 8. I always thought something was up with those two, now I know. Aliens. Who knew??:D:D

Tim Self
08-27-2008, 9:26 PM
From this web site. Not as funny as the previous one though!

http://www.minndakwoodturners.com/articles/2004-2005/2004-10/2004-10_ten_commandments.pdf

Jamie Cowan
08-27-2008, 9:26 PM
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's lathe?

Nathan Hawkes
08-28-2008, 5:53 AM
:D:D:D:D

Here's one that saved my butt (my face actually) last month;

Thou shalt not forget to wear thy faceshield (when roughing out a 20lb chunk of white ash that flies off and hits you in the head, knocking you down.......)

Scott Lux
08-28-2008, 8:18 AM
Not 10 commandments, but observations. I'd been turning about a year when I first wrote this. Now it's almost two years and they're still accurate.

1) Sharp tools are better than dull tools.
2) Fancy woods are for woodworkers. Friends and family don't care if it's Bubinga, burl, firewood, or a scrap 2x4. They only know if they like it or not.
3) There is a fine line between batch production and tedium. That line is different for everyone and moves over time.
4) Softwoods hurt just as much as hardwoods flying off the lathe.
5) There are hardwoods and there are HARD WOODS. HARD WOODS make sharp tools into dull tools.
6) When making bowls and hollow forms it is very important that the inside is smaller than the outside.
7) There are people who are naturally gifted at working with wood. I am not one of these.
8 ) Honeylocust smells a bit like cinnamon when you're working it. It also makes you feel like you have a cold for 2 days afterward. And it is a very HARD WOOD.
9) Wood is very forgiving. Even the worst mistakes can be made into a beautiful fire.
10) Sharp Tools > Dull Tools + Sandpaper + Time
11) Highly polished wood looks better, but lightly sanded wood feels better.
12) Mahogany is made up of sub-atomic particles (mahoganons) that are carried for miles on the slightest breeze, and stick to everything at the molecular level.
13) Cedar dust is almost as bad as mahogany.
14) You see all the flaws in your work. Friends and family see only the best in it.

curtis rosche
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
jamie, you can covet your neighbors lathe, because chances are they have a bigger better one, that you will eventually buy a better version of.

lets see what the rest of you can come up with, i came up with that list in 2 minutes

Phillip Bogle
08-28-2008, 2:14 PM
I love the posts. Everyone has some very good thoughts and funny perspectives.

I did notice that my ideas changed over time, not certain why but they changed. When I was 18 wood was lumpy and not very pretty, but girls had curves and were a time consuming passion. Now 40+ years later, the reverse is true.

BTW: My wife never reads this.:D

Andrew Derhammer
08-28-2008, 2:31 PM
#1 should be: Though shall never do flat work, NEVER!!!!!!

robert hainstock
08-28-2008, 3:18 PM
YOU HOPE!
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
08-28-2008, 4:09 PM
When buffing - Thou shalt hang onto thy bowl with both of thy hands - lest the floor rise up and smite it!

curtis rosche
08-29-2008, 7:30 AM
phillip, you were supposed to make the wood have nice curves, to atract the girls with the curves. time managment. thats how i do it:D:D:cool:

Jack Mincey
08-29-2008, 8:27 AM
This is one rule I always tell my students. The inside Dia. has to be smaller than the outside Dia. They don't aways remember.
Jack

curtis rosche
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
unless you are making a funnel or lampshade