PDA

View Full Version : $500 price increase on PM3520B

Bernie May
08-27-2008, 6:23 PM
I am sure you are all aware the PM3520B and other tools of interest are going up in the near term. I was planning on ordering the 3520B in a month or two when I got a few more shekles together. However, the $500-600 price increase on Monday induced me to order it today from Osolnik.
-bernie
As Janice Joplin said "get it while you can.."

Matt Hutchinson
08-27-2008, 7:12 PM
Yes, price increases are coming in force. I just started working at Woodcraft and tomorrow over 5,300 items they sell will have new prices. Several Sorby turning tools went down, Woodcraft and Pinnacle turning tools went up a hair, and just about everything else under the sun went up. Good thing you got it before it effected Osolnik!

Hutch

Gary Herrmann
08-27-2008, 7:46 PM
Sorbys went down. Thats interesting. Sale or something else?

Jamie Cowan
08-27-2008, 9:24 PM
Well, not all Sorby tools went down. Woodcraft sells Sorby mortise chisels for about $30 more than most places online ($71.99). That's Thirty bucks each, not for a set. They had a couple overstock that they put on a 30% off table, and I bought the 3/8". At that price, it was probably what one would go for online after shipping. Also, the Termite Tool is about 20 bucks more there. Some of the Lie-Nielsen planes are about 30 bucks more there than online. I suspect that this is a temporary situation. I think everything is going up, no matter where you buy it. Woodcraft probably just bumped them up a little earlier than everyone else. I need a cheaper hobby. I did buy some cherry bowl blanks there today to get throught the long weekend. And Some Osage Orange. And some madrone burl. I need help.

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2008, 9:45 PM
Everything is going up. I bought my Tormek for $799 free shipping. Now it is $979. What a deal. The failing dollar is going to eat us alive.

Matt Hutchinson
08-28-2008, 6:51 AM
Yeah, pretty much everything went up. There were only a handful of Sorby tools that went down. I suspect they dropped the price cuz no one is willing to pay twice as much as the Pinnacle tools just for the Sorby name. When they are hanging right next to each other, which one do you think most hobbyists would choose?

As far as Woodcraft bargains go, the bargain prices vary from store to store, unless maybe there is a discontinued item.

Hutch

Brent English
08-28-2008, 8:33 AM
The weak dollar and rising commodity prices will raise the costs of all imports like the Powermatic (Asia) and the Oneway (Canada). I'm raising prices too 9/15. Since starting Robust four years ago, mild steel and cast iron have more than doubled. Stainless has more than tripled. It will cost twice as much to heat the shop this winter compared to last winter. Suprisingly, motors have only went up 30%. Not that that's good news. I've absorbed as much as I can and unfortunately have to pass some of this on. Brent at Robust.