PDA

View Full Version : New lathe at last....or Today I am a man!!

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 6:22 PM
Well guys I waited a year and turned what I could on the old 1947 Delta lathe I restored last year but today I finally upgraded. I was looking at this lathe for a long time and it found its way into my shop today. Quick story. The place I bought it from had told me that it would take about 3-4 weeks to get it so I could just put a deposit down to hold it and take advantage of the current sale price. This was about a month ago. So I went there today to do that and lo and behold they had one on the showroom floor. Jet had sent them an extra one by mistake. Soooooooooo I thought for about 5 minutes, went back inside and said "I'll take it!" So today I am the proud owner of a spankin new Jet 1642. Its as smooth as butter and Im so tickled I cant sit still. Keeping with tradition here of no pics didnt happen, I took these to show you guys. Pay no mind to the rats nest of cords in the background I just rigged those to try the lathe out. It will have its own dedicated circuit soon.
Well, its back to the shop!! Im da man thats right! LOL

Gerold Griffin
08-27-2008, 6:53 PM
Congradulations!!! Never seen one up close just pictures, but looks like a real sweet machine. Just one question, with a holiday weekend ahead of us does this mean some pictures of the first turning by Monday night?
Congrads again.

Toney Robertson
08-27-2008, 6:59 PM
It is a great feeling to upgrade isn't it?

Have fun.

Looking forward to seeing what comes off the new Jet.

Will your wife see you this weekend?

Toney

Matt Hutchinson
08-27-2008, 7:05 PM
High five! Conratulations on the new lathe! Can't wait to see what somes flying off it. :rolleyes:

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2008, 7:29 PM
Jim - got the same lathe - you are going to love it! Looking forward to seeing some new turnings real soon!

Kurt Bird
08-27-2008, 8:27 PM
Jim,
It's simply awesome! What cords? I can't see anything but a shiny new lathe, just sitting there with all kinds of potential... Now, go right up to it, spill a little bit of finish on it just to get it over with, and start turning. Enjoy!
Kurt Bird:D

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 8:49 PM
Jim,
It's simply awesome! What cords? I can't see anything but a shiny new lathe, just sitting there with all kinds of potential... Now, go right up to it, spill a little bit of finish on it just to get it over with, and start turning. Enjoy!
Kurt Bird:D

Funny you said that, a buddy of mine whose help I used to get this beast into the shop asked me about that. He said, "I see you have some kind of gunk all over your old lathe, is the new one gonna be cleaner?" I said, "hope not!" LOL
:D:D

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 8:52 PM
Congradulations!!! Never seen one up close just pictures, but looks like a real sweet machine. Just one question, with a holiday weekend ahead of us does this mean some pictures of the first turning by Monday night?
Congrads again.

Good possibility but I have one problem. My old lathe had a 1"x8tpi headstock and this one is 1 1/4" x 8 so none of my faceplates or chucks will work until I get the proper adapters. Im stuck making bonkers or candlesticks or something for a few days.
:(:(

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2008, 9:36 PM
Congrats Jim! May it serve you well! Question...looking at the photos....I take it that is a 1642EVS? If so....you will love that EVS. I sure like mine!

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2008, 9:41 PM
Congrats Jim. Looks like you are ready to go.

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 9:42 PM
Congrats Jim! May it serve you well! Question...looking at the photos....I take it that is a 1642EVS? If so....you will love that EVS. I sure like mine!

Ken, it is and I do!! This thing is really sweet, Ive only played around with some chunks of walnut and poplar so far but from what Ive seen already it rocks!
Thanks!

Larry Marley
08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Way to go Jim!
congratulations

charlie knighton
08-28-2008, 2:48 AM
cnogratulations! i also upgraded to 1642 in july, great lathe:D

Don Eddard
08-28-2008, 4:33 AM
Congrats. Always feels good to upgrade, doesn't it?

steven carter
08-28-2008, 9:46 AM
Way to go Jim, I'v had my 1642 for a few months now and I love it. It didn't take long to make it look used. It was a big step up from the jet 1236 reeves drive. I looked at some sites and thought to add a ballast box, but with the evs, I just lower the speed until it is in balance, and I've turned some blanks that were nearly 16: in diameter and 10" - 12" thick.

Have fun!
Steve

Don Orr
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
You're gonna love that machine ! I've had one for several years and have had no problems at all. Handles whatever I throw at it. I will be testing that premise sometime soon. I'm supposed to turn a 12" diameter, 36" long piece of white oak on it. Hope I don't overload it.

robert hainstock
08-28-2008, 3:31 PM
That's the envy I have for you and your new "toy" I have turned on Steve's a few times and it is top drawer. You are gonna love it. :D:D
Bob

Tom Steyer
08-28-2008, 4:44 PM
Jim - you will love that lathe for a long time to come. I have had mine for a little over a year, and am very happy with it. A great machine for the buck. Congrats.

charlie knighton
08-28-2008, 5:44 PM
I looked at some sites and thought to add a ballast box, but with the evs, I just lower the speed until it is in balance

i added 5 50 lb bags of sand, they rest on shelf that sits on two 2 x 4 that the legs are built for, i coverered with cardboard across the top and wraped with plastic, the shavings are easily sweep off

the directions are in the operations and parts manuel provided by wmh tool group that come with the lathe :D