PDA

View Full Version : how long should a tool handle be?

curtis rosche
08-27-2008, 6:12 PM
i will hopefully be soon making my own roughing tool, one of the ones with the carbide insert, that some use for stone. the question is, how long should the shaft be, and how long should the handle be? i could use it for doing so deep stuff, like if i ever try hollow forms, or for doing a deep box. but i would also use it for do heavy removal for bowls. having it to long would be an issue for bowls, and to short would be worthless. i have seen the tools were the shaft can be extended and retracted into the handle, but i dont want to buy a whole handle, making one sounds like fun. do they make a simple kit for that, or is it easier to just make a fixed handle.

Wilbur Pan
08-27-2008, 7:34 PM
I'm no expert, but based on my handle making experience, no matter how long you make it, the day will come that you'll want a longer one. ;)

John Shuk
08-27-2008, 8:38 PM
A tool handle should be neither too long nor too short for the task at hand.:p

Matt Hutchinson
08-28-2008, 7:58 AM
I haven't made my own tools yet, but my initial thought is that the cost might effect your decision. If you can get the steel for a low cost, then I would definitely just make a fixed handle. Then if you needed a longer tool later you could just make a longer version.

I don't know the processes behind making an adjustable handle, but I would think the tolerances would have to be rather tight in order to hold the shaft safely. There are allen key collars designed to fit into handle systems, and you might be able to rig this as part of an adjustable handle, but I am still not sure how safe it would be. It's an interesting idea though.

As far as handle length, if you won't need to approach the work piece at a high angle, then I would say longer is better. If you plan on using the tool at high angles, then you might want a medium to short handle if you would be working over the ways.

Hutch

Jim Becker
08-28-2008, 9:32 AM
For tools intended for rough and/or heavy work, a longer handle that you can tuck into your body and have more leverage is generally a good idea.

Steve Schlumpf
08-28-2008, 9:51 AM
Curtis - one of the things that you didn't mention was the size of the steel you plan on using. Generally - the bigger the diameter of the steel - the bigger and longer the handle. Like Jim stated - if you plan on using this new tool for heavy duty work - you will want the handle long enough so that you can hold against your body to help steady it.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

scott schmidt grasshopper
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
you might think this from the other end,
how big is your lathe and therefore how big of bowls etc you might work on .
if you have a 12 in lathe then you dont need 4 ft of handle if you have a 20 inch lathe you need something you can extend farther away and well more torque,
as for an adjustable handle . a couple allen head set screws makes a wonderful adjuster. a pipe over a solid 3/4 rod will give you huge amounts of extension and if you are doing shorter or limited acces you can take the pipe off totally
I made an oland tool with 2 ft of 3/4 solid and it is great for attacking wood in a hurry on my 12 inch delta lathe. but now that I have a PM I can put it into my expensive metal handle and have up to 3.5 ft if I even need that much tool.

Don Robert
08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
It also depends on how far you want (or need) to extend the tip of the tool out over the tool rest. I remember Stuart Batty saying that you want your control hand AT LEAST a distance away from the tool rest that is 5 times the distance that the end of the tool extends over the tool rest. You might call it the 1:5 rule.

curtis rosche
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
i normaly set the tool rest once and dont reset until i do finish cuts, so some times i get pretty far off the rest. i was planning on using this tool not only on my lathe but the one at school, which has like a 24 inch cap. to make it ajustable, i just thought of it, if i make the hanle hollow, and have a pipe in the center, then the shaft can slid in and out of the pipe, and tighten it with a screw

Matt Hutchinson
08-28-2008, 4:12 PM
Yeah, I like that pipe idea. Now all you need is a really long drill! (ok, maybe just a drill bit extension.) Can't wait to see what you come up with. :D

Hutch

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
my step dad has a couple of the 4ft extensions, i could do a peice longer than the lathe

Jim Underwood
09-01-2008, 8:29 PM
From notes on our recent Stu Batty class:

5:1 ratio handle to overhang. 7:1 for scrapers.