PDA

View Full Version : which is better

Art kraft
08-27-2008, 4:00 PM
new background. Which is better? Do I use different background for light objects than dark pieces? I was hoping to be consistent on the web site

Ron McKinley
08-27-2008, 5:55 PM
I like the black better. The ideal would be a light gray or white at the bottom graduating to a black at the mid-point.......Ron

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2008, 7:42 PM
Art - there are a number of serious photographers on this site and I hope some of them will jump in here and help you out. I'm not great at photos but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once - so, of the 4 photos you posted - the first one works for me but it is because of the lighting - not because of the background. Having the light high and slightly to the left of the subject gives the object some dimension and brings it to life.

In the other photos - all are either washed out by the background or suffer from inadequate frontal lighting and lose all detail.

Just a suggestion - but you may want to PM Brian Brown or Phillip Bogle and get their opinions.

Very nice turnings by the way! Hope you find something that really brings the pieces to life!

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-27-2008, 7:49 PM
Art, I'm in complete agreement with Steve's comments. For my own photos, I do like the effect of a graduated background, usually light to dark. However. lighting, color balance, composition, camera angle, and focus are the real keys.

Dewey Torres
08-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Photo skills aside I chose #4:

For form, figure, and contrast.

Phillip Bogle
08-28-2008, 2:33 AM
Art:
I will help you via PM because I want to send you some samples.

I will say that you have some good potential here but there are a couple of technical items. I like the first photo because of the drama. I would move the lights a bit forward. Actually I would move the lights forward center and light the front a bit more. I personally do not avoid all reflections. Light and dark create the feeling of depth. I would also work on your depth of field. The background will darken some (a lot in some cases) if you open up the aperture and spot focus on the part you want the focus on. The idea is to have the spot you want attention focused on the main item. The rest of the photo out of focus is good since the viewer will look where you want them to look.

I will email some photos to you. We can go over them item by item.

charlie knighton
08-28-2008, 2:43 AM
i agree with Malcolm, hands down use a graduated background, some turnings you will want light to dark, some turnings dark to light, a lot depends if you want to use a final (which many people make out of ebony or ebonized woods) :D:eek::cool:

Jim Kountz
08-28-2008, 8:30 PM
Well as you can tell from some of the pics I post here I need to work on taking pictures but I can tell you I love your turning work alot! Good form and color with a couple of those. Nice job!