PDA

View Full Version : Octolam Laminated to MDF

Barb Macdonald
08-27-2008, 2:29 PM
Has anyone lasered that stuff? I wanted to inlay silver lamicoid numbers into it. So, I'd need to raster a well.
Just curious, did a search, but nada. It's the difference in materials, after laminating to MDF, that I'm curious about?
It's the wood look material that I have an old piece of.
Would it be similar to arborite, which lasered just wonderfully?
TIA

Barb
epilog legend ext 60 watt aka "Abigail"

Joe Pelonio
08-27-2008, 2:40 PM
I read the technical specs on it and it sounds just like any other phenolic laminate such as arborite, wilsonart and formica. If that's the case I have found that it cuts better than it engraves. You might think about cutting out the graphics before laminating and you'll have your wells.

The stuff that's on the mdf shelves that you buy premade at the borgs is thinner and engraves better.

Barb Macdonald
08-27-2008, 3:11 PM
Here's another question, that I haven't tried yet either. Pondered it last night at 4am, but too busy with books etc. today to try it. If it cuts better than it engraves, could I contour-fill the letters, and vector-cut the contours? Therefore doing it in one pass?
I did multiple passes when I was making wells for the wood/inlay samples I did previously, I somehow don't think this material would enjoy multi-passes.
I'll let you know how it goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
:)
have a great day

barb