PDA

View Full Version : Scraper planes

Joel Goodman
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Anyone have experience with scraper planes? LN has a large and a cabinetmakers model -- they say the cabinetmakers is easier to use. It's also built like a rabbet plane -- the blade goes to the edge of the body. LV has a large scraper plane. Stanley used to make one -- the 112. Experiences, recomendations? Also of course the handled versions by LV and Stanley. I have not used any scrapers except the handheld type. Or is a hand held scraper just as useful?

Johnny Kleso
08-27-2008, 1:18 AM
I tend to use a Cabinet Scraper (Stanley No.80M) more than a scraper plane.. Its more easy for me to set up..

Joel Goodman
08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks,

I'll start with one of those.

Bob Coleman
08-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I use my stanley 112 A LOT. Most of the wood I have is highly figured and it comes out wonderfully after a couple passes with the scrape plane. I don't have any experience with the modern versions, but would definitely recommend the 112. (I also have a 212, which works great, even though it looks like it shouldn't) (I know, I know, why am I using a 212 - it was passed to me from my grandfather, who used it for 50+ years, so I see no reason to stop)

Tristan Raymond
08-27-2008, 1:01 PM
I've recently picked up the Veritas scraper plane. I chose it because it has the ability to bow the blade, though I've yet to decide if that is an important feature. I also picked up the heavier blade and rounded off the corners. So far I really like it. I can take off pretty good shavings in some nasty Jatoba that I'm (trying) to work with at the moment. Adjustment is very easy which is good because a VERY slight adjustment of the frog forward increases the agressiveness of the cut quite a lot. I was getting pretty deep tearout so a hand held scraper would have done my thumbs in. With the scraper plane I'm able to take shavings as thick as a plane shaving if I desire, so it can be quite a bit quicker than a hand scraper. This is my first Veritas plane and first time I'd used one. I find the tote to be comfortable, to me it's a non-issue (I also like the tote on my LN LA Jack, so maybe I'm just not picky).

If you get tired of the hand scraper then I think that a scraper plane is a good purchase.

Michael Faurot
08-27-2008, 2:04 PM
Anyone have experience with scraper planes? LN has a large and a cabinetmakers model -- they say the cabinetmakers is easier to use.

I own the Veritas scraper plane and have had very good results with it. The ability to adjust the angle of the blade and the bow make it easy to dial in just the right amount to scrape.

Awhile back, there was a a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81037&highlight=scraper+plane) here about the same plane. While I don't own any of the Lie-Nielsen scraper planes, I do recall there being a distinct difference between the cabinet maker's and the large scraper. The cabinet maker's does not have the ability to adjust the angle of the blade. The large does and is similar to the Veritas model.

Experiences, recomendations?
[...]
Or is a hand held scraper just as useful?I find a use for the scraper plane, cabinet scraper and hand held scrapers. It just depends on the piece of wood being worked and the size. Sometimes one works better than another.

Eddie Darby
08-27-2008, 3:46 PM
This link might be helpful.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Convert+A+Handplane+Into+A+Scraper+With+New+Toolin g.aspx

Tim Sproul
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I use the Veritas scraping plane, the Veritas cabinet scraper and hand held card scrapers.

The scraping plane is great for large surfaces as the motion is more efficient and the largish sole helps keep the surface flat. When I only have to scrape a glue line, the cabinet scraper is easier. If I have to touch-up a spot here and there and not the whole surface, a hand-held card is the best bet.

Each has it's purpose. Yes, you could get away with just hand held card scrapers......but you could also get away with flint and your teeth too.

Rob Luter
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I use my scrapers more than I use my planes. I've been fortunate and found some great deals on some classic tools. I use my Stanley #112 the most. I also have (and use) three Stanley #80 (no need to stop and sharpen), a Stanley #81 (good for really fine work), and a Keen Kutter #212 (clone of a Stanley #12). When sharpened properly they're hard to beat for tough grain.

Kevin Brenton
08-31-2008, 9:59 AM
I have a Stanley 112 and use it a fair bit on the Aussie hardwoods ,I like it very much ,it works well on reversing and mongrel grains.
I also have a no 80 which I just picked up ,but one of the blade clamp screws are missing (it has a hole through the wing of the thumb screw)
Does any one know where I can get a replacement thumb screw?
It's 1/4 UNF thread

Kev