PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium Reminder

Jim Becker
05-04-2004, 8:50 PM
Turners who are considering attending the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) 2004 Symposium that is scheduled for 23-25 July in Orlando Florida are reminded that the deadline for discounted fees is 15 May 2004. If you are not familiar with the national symposium put on by the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org), it's an incredible educational experience--three days of seminars that cover the gamut of techniques and woodturning topics, the awesome "Instant Gallery" where folks from all over the world display up to three pieces of their work (sometimes side-by-side with those from the "masters") and lots of time to socialize/rub elbows with other turners (including well-known folks) and talk with vendors of turning tools, equipment and supplies.

I attended the 2002 symposium in Providence and was blown away; and was very bummed out to have missed last year's event on the left-coast due to a business conflict. Well, my tickets are bought and I'm not missing this one!:D

Mark Stutz
05-04-2004, 9:31 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the link to the AAW website. Never been there before. The Gallery photos are almost unbelievable!!. Can't make it this year, but this is on the "must do" list for the future!

Mark

Richard Allen
05-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi Jim

Thanks for the heads up on the discount. The symposium is the highlight of my woodturning year. I get more ideas from the symposium than I can possibly try out before the next symposium.

Anthony Yakonick
05-05-2004, 12:01 AM
In 2002 I spent every night closing the bar with Mike Lee, Mike Mahoney, Dave Lancaster, and other "known" turners, we were asked to leave one night at 2 a.m.

Jim Becker
05-05-2004, 8:30 AM
In 2002 I spent every night closing the bar with Mike Lee, Mike Mahoney, Dave Lancaster, and other "known" turners, we were asked to leave one night at 2 a.m.
I'm not sure if that is "good" or "bad" :o , but the underlying theme of normal human interaction with these folks is a great part of attending. Nowhere else will so many turners and noteworthy turners, at that, be in one place at one time. Lot's to be learned.