PDA

View Full Version : Beveled Glass Needed

Warren E. Johnson
08-26-2008, 8:55 PM
I have almost finished the hutch I promised my wife a couple of years ago. All I need now is pulls for the doors and beveled glass and mirrors. I priced it at the local glass shop and the sticker shock will mean a couple more years before it is done. As you can see from the picture I need seven pieces for each of two of the doors plus two pieces for the other two doors and two pieces for the ends not to mention the three pieces of beveled mirror for the back. All together about $2000.00.

I have templates for all of the pieces. Can anyone recommend an economical source for beveled glass so I can get it for a mere $1000.00.

Steve Kohn
08-26-2008, 9:19 PM
Just an off-the-wall idea that might work. How about having the glass shop cut the glass and finding a hobby stained glass person. They quite often have to grind glass for their projects.

You might even be able to trade some woodworking for his/her beveling your glass for you.

Bruce Page
08-26-2008, 9:44 PM
Shop around either locally or on line. I had 18, 7X10 pieces cut & beveled for a cabinet that I hope to finish someday. :rolleyes:
I went to 5 or 6 glass shops in town and the bids ranged from $500 to about $1400. Granted, your curves add to the complexity and costs, but 2k seems out of line.

That’s a beautiful cabinet.

Perry Holbrook
08-26-2008, 9:47 PM
Warren, where are you located?

BTW, it would be unusual for a hobby stain glasser to have the equipment to bevel with, they will have a grinder but bevel equipment is pricey for a hobbist.

Perry

John Gornall
08-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I think you need to shop around. You need to go directly to a glass processor that will grind custom for you. I buy direct from a beveling company. Last month I paid 18 cents per inch plus the glass plus cutting to shape and size. More glass than you need but somewhat simpler in shape cost about 250 bucks.

Robert Parrish
08-30-2008, 1:01 PM
I am having a similar problem obtaining glass! I am finishing a curio cabinet from Wood mag and need 6 pieces of glass for the sides and doors 3/32" and 4 shelves 1/4" polished edges. I took my measurements to my local Lowes and they quoted me $363 for the glass. I built this same cabinet about 15 years ago and the glass was less than $50 from my local hardware store. I realize that prices have increased over the years but this is ridiculous. Has anyone tried the internet suppliers i.e OneDay Glass or Hoovers?

Charlie Plesums
09-02-2008, 2:25 PM
A local woodworker I know uses Glass Beveling Co.in Houston, Texas, 800-423-0720. They did some work for him similar to your cabinet - I heard the price but don't remember exactly - but it wasn't even close to your $2000 bid. The bad news is that they are strictly wholesale. You need to have a Texas State Sales Tax ID to do business with them. He gave them templates of each piece, and the next week the beveled glass was delivered.

They do deliver aound Texas, and are in Austin at least once a week.

If you are not in or near Texas, they may be able to recommend a similar company near you. If you are not commercial, perhaps you can get a local glass shop to order from them (or their counterpart in your area) for a small percentage markup if you do all the measurements, templates, mounting, etc.