PDA

View Full Version : Finished Lathe Tool Cabinet

Paul Di Biasio
02-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Completed my lathe cabinet last weekend.

For two years, it had no doors or drawer faces. I eventually finish all my projects, contrary to what my wife thinks.

Joe Suelter
02-14-2003, 2:15 PM
Nice looking cabinet, Paul. Got a question about your tool handles...they look like anodized aluminum. Are my eyes playing tricks, or is that what they are...if so, maybe some info on them? Just curious...never seen that before. Thanks--Joe Suelter

Bruce Page
02-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Paul Di Biasio
Competed my lathe cabinet last weekend.

For two years, it had no doors or drawer faces. I eventually finish all my projects, contrary to what my wife thinks.

It was worth the wait. Nice job!

Paul Di Biasio
02-15-2003, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by Joe Suelter
Nice looking cabinet, Paul. Got a question about your tool handles...they look like anodized aluminum. Are my eyes playing tricks, or is that what they are...if so, maybe some info on them? Just curious...never seen that before. Thanks--Joe Suelter

They are Jerry Glaser lathe tools. M2 Shot filled aluminum handles. I really love the skew The tools are great when turning large bowls.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
02-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi Paul,

Nice cabinet....and a yummy stash of gouges too!

Jen

Harvey Meyer
02-15-2003, 3:20 PM
Very impressive. Good work.
Harvey

Ted Shrader
02-15-2003, 5:30 PM
Paul -

<b>Very nice work!</b> Only problem is, you end up with nicer shop furniture than house furniture and end up in trouble :)

Well done,
Ted

Bill Grumbine
02-15-2003, 5:31 PM
Very nice Paul. I see you keep the same schedule for finishing projects that I do. ;)

I currently have my turning tools hanging on a rack on the wall. It is filled with shavings that have flown up past my shoulder. Every now and then I get ambitious, or the chips get so high the tools are falling out, and I clean it out. I like the drawer storage idea. Some day in the distant future I would like to build some more storage for my shop, and putting a lot of stuff in drawers is high on the list. I never thought about storing turning tools in drawers, but now you have me thinking.

How 'bout them Glaser tools? They're nice, aren't they? I only have one, a 3/4" bowl gouge, but it was a gift from Jerry himself. I love it for beeg bowls.

Bill

Paul Di Biasio
02-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Bill,

I find that Jerry's tools hold an edge for a long time so I spend a little extra time getting them sharp.

I have been doing a lot of spindle turning lately. Like the unfinished lathe cabinet, I have a dozen rough turned bowls ready to be finished.

Paul

Bill Grumbine
02-16-2003, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by Paul Di Biasio

I have been doing a lot of spindle turning lately. Like the unfinished lathe cabinet, I have a dozen rough turned bowls ready to be finished.

I'm running out of roughed out blanks even. It has been too stinking cold here to go out and chainsaw wood. And lest anyone think I am wimpy, part of the reason is the wood is frozen to the ground!

How do you find those heavy tools for spindle work Paul? I like my tools to be as light as possible for most stuff. My Glaser bowl gouge weighs in at 4 lbs, and I really appreciate it for hogging off a lot of wood, but when it comes time for finer control, I put it back on the rack.

Bill

Walt Drummond
02-16-2003, 4:04 PM
Nice cabinet, Paul. I'm in the process of building a solid bench for my midi lathe. I am thinking of putting in drawers, also. Mind if I use yours as an idea generator?

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2003, 5:25 PM
My personal preference is to have my tools business end up (so I can see the cutting edge shape) and at my left side. Since I'm a lefty, having all the tools to the left works for me, particularly since the headstock is to the left end of the lathe and I don't have to reach over a spinning bowl or spindle. Attached is a picture of my simple setup made from scrap plywood and MDF. Being a thrifty Yankee, almost all of my shop fixtures and shelves are made from cutoffs.

Paul Di Biasio
02-16-2003, 5:29 PM
Bill,

I only use the Glaser tools for bowl turning. You are right about the weight.

Paul

Paul Di Biasio
02-16-2003, 5:32 PM
My tools were mounted on the wall before I built this cabinet. I like the cart better. It holds more than just the tools.

Bob Lasley
02-16-2003, 7:19 PM
Paul,

I like it. Such a cabinet to mount my grinders on is on my list, my very long list. You did a great job.

Bob

Bud Duffy
02-18-2003, 3:55 PM
Our wives must be related. Is that your own design or where do i find the plans?

Patrick Smith
02-18-2003, 4:25 PM
That lathe cabinet bears some resemblance to my router cabinet. Very versatile design. I need to get cracking on a rolling lathe cabinet, it looks very useful!

Alan Tolchinsky
02-18-2003, 5:31 PM
Very nice cabinet; I like it a lot.

Al Mann in Miami
02-18-2003, 6:40 PM
It seems to have brought out a lot of our turners!

Uncle Al

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-18-2003, 8:49 PM
The cabinet looks to be ideal for your tool storage. I, too like the drawer idea, since right now I have to dig under shavings once in a while to find mine. Unfortunately I don't have a shop big enough for a cabinet like yours yet ... but it's coming hopefully next year. This Fall and next Spring, I'm going to be asking for plans to lay out my shop with a lot of the ideas I've seen here and on the Pond. I'll be starting from scratch in a 36' X 40' space with a second floor for some storage, so I'll be full of questions from flooring, to heating, to DC installation and on and on and on ...

Thanks again for sharing.

Dave Peebles Lyons Ohio
02-18-2003, 9:27 PM
Hi Paul,

Great job!! It looks like a good solution for storing your most prized tuning tools. I too am a big fan of Jerry's tools. Between the edge holding ability, and those wonderful shot filled handles, I don't think a turner could do much better.

Best wishes,
Dave

Gary Hern
02-18-2003, 9:54 PM
I just converted a Mac tool box that has been full of odds and end bolts, trinkets, etc. but it isn't wide enough for my larger gouges and scrapers. One day I'll build a nice cabinet like this one and put my vacuum pump in the bottom!

Beautiful work!

Paul Di Biasio
02-19-2003, 12:38 AM
There were no plans, I just decided how high I wanted the grinder and the length of my longest tools for the drawer width. Then I filled in the blanks.

I put it on wheels so I could move it out of the way when I wasn't turning.

Paul

Dave Brandt
02-19-2003, 5:23 PM
Hey Paul,

I'm also in Annandale, VA! Right behind NOVA in Wakefield Chapel. We've gotta be close, since Annandale isn't that big. You inside or outside the beltway?

And...I have the same problem with my better half. She's positive I never finish a project too. I still think she might be wrong though.

Paul Di Biasio
02-19-2003, 9:13 PM
Dave,

Right down the street. Left on Holborn, Right on Private Lane, 8277. You will have to stop by sometime.

Paul

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 10:13 PM
A cabinet like yours is on my to do list. It will be a miracle if I live long enough to complete that list.