PDA

View Full Version : The Deck Is Done

Greg Cole
08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok, I still have to cut 2 posts and attach the caps. Not QUITE done but close 'nuff for me.
I've been working on this project since about the last week of June. GW Jr's stimulus arrived and I was off to get the materials. My wife bought a blow up ring style pool last year for our then 5 year old... the kid wanted a real pool and I wanted rid of the "wally world special".
All the work was done by my crew, ah just little ol' me, with a day of help from my Dad when it was time to install the deck top. Working nights and weekends, it always takes longer on these bigger projects working solo... and this being the wettest summer here in the KC area didn't speed things up much. I also took a week of vacation the first week of July and did NOT touch the deck... LOML's request to "enjoy" myself (which meant I griped that I shoulda been working most of the stay-cation).
Deck dims are 20 feet long and 10 to 16 feet wide depending on where ya stand, about 46" high. Room to sit and relax and not be splashed by the kid(s) constantly like many decks around above grounds. The pool is 18' diameter with 52" walls (4' of water or so) for reference.
15 footers, 8" diameter and 36" deep. Simpson Z-Max brackets & joist hangers galore. 2x6 framing, 12" on center, 24" spaced blocking between joists. All lumber is PT SYP, I'd wanted to use a man made deck top to match a deck I built on the house last year but I had a budget (LOML was in on the planning and she kept me ON budget, there's a FIRST and maybe last ;)).
The deck top is oil based semi transparent stain, the railing-fence is water based acrylic Cabot full blocking stain (matches the fence I built in May seen in the pics too). Just finished spraying the railiing stuff last night and got the plastic & masking tape peeled up (only used 2 rolls of 200' of painters tape).
Anyway, after the fence and deck builds this summer.... I'm ready to get back in the shop. This kind of building gets to be like real work after doing it all summer.....

Cheers.

Greg

alex grams
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Very nice. When are you inviting everyone over for some BBQ and beer?

Greg Cole
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Alex,
Funny bumping into you here...LOL Thanks for the compliment. For those that know me, they don't get invites... just show up. My doors are always open or the fence gate is never locked.
However... there is a party this weekend. Bout what 9 hours from where ya are in TX? Bring some smoked brisket, I'll have beer on ice. Should I demo the bathrooom and have it ready for tile? ;)

Greg

alex grams
08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Funny about the brisket, I just bought about 60 pounds when it went on sale last weekend. My freezer looks like a meat locker... its beautiful...

Greg Cole
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Alex,
I saw your brisket comment elsewhere and thought it fit the BBQ idea.....
If you ever get to this part of the world (KC area) definately give me a shout. We may as well meet face to face since we seem to bump into eachother here an awful lot....

Lee Schierer
08-26-2008, 1:29 PM
Very nice looking deck. I'm sure you'll find that it is worth the work you put in it as you get time to enjoy it.

You can't tell from the photos, but hopefully there is a gate to the deck you can lock. You wouldn't want any one up there unless there was adult supervision.

Joe Petersen
08-26-2008, 3:00 PM
I like to see a woodworker put his own touch on a big project like this. I don't know if anyone else likes the profile on the bottom of the slats, but I like it. Nice job

Don Bullock
08-26-2008, 4:54 PM
That's a great looking deck. You finished it just in time for the end of summer. I bet it will see a lot of use this weekend.:D

Greg Cole
08-26-2008, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words. We've had so much more enjoyable time with a deck versus just the pool. I can't imagine not having pool side lounging etc. Plus the little ones have a BLAST hopping in all day versus having to be told to not play on the ladder 2,000 or so times a day as previously.

Lee, there is no gate on the deck, but the privacy fence has a self closing gate with a lockable latch. Our almost 7 year old has been swimming since he was about 3, so we're comfortable with things. But I can put one in quite easily if needed.
Joe,
Good eye. I did some deck-privacy sections last year and they are similar to the corner of the deck with the lattice top, so I figured since I had to cut the pickets to length why not leave the dog ear on and install them "upside down".
Don,
Thanks. We have about another month of pool season here (the nicest time of summer IMO) so long as I am prudent about keeping the solar cover on. Last year it was installed mid-September and the water was c-c-c-c-cooooooollllllld! We had the little dude's b-day party September 20th IIRC, and the kids INSISTED on going swimming, 2 or 3 of them stayed in for a couple minutes, the rest jumped in and right back out... I called them the Polar Bear Cub Club.

Cheers.
Greg

mark page
08-26-2008, 6:49 PM
Excellent job Greg. Looks very good. I will have to stop by sometime and see it first class. But in the meantime, have a cold beverage on it for me!!!!

Matt Ocel
08-26-2008, 8:37 PM
Well Done!

Enjoy!!

Greg Cole
08-26-2008, 9:44 PM
Hey Mark,
Anytime, if you can find the Nashua General Store yell & I'll hear ya. Or just use some more normal lines of communication. Seriously welcome anytime.

Matt,
I appreciate that from you, from what I've seen you do some amazing and inspiring work. Thanks for the e-mails, that info was rather encouraging to say the least. Nice to get a clue what my sweat equity might be close to worth & made my arms long 'nuff to pat my own back for a second. :rolleyes: