PDA

View Full Version : Protecting signature on outdoor project

Jon Crowley
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
My dad is flying in town for labor day weekend. While he is here, I was planning on building a porch swing with him. I'd like both of us to sign/date it for sentimental reasons. For the average indoor furniture project, I'd just clear coat over the signature, and it would hold up fine. I'm not sure what to do in this case though...

The swing will be western red cedar, most likely with some kind of penetrating finish so it is easy to renew every year or two. Any suggestions on how to keep the signatures from fading? I'm open to the idea of having a separate panel, not necessarily made of wood, with the signatures if that would hold up better.

Any ideas?

Al Wasser
08-26-2008, 2:14 PM
Nothing in writing will hold up well when exposed to the elements. Labeling plants in the garden a pencil works best. For wood, I think I would use a wood burner. Even then I would put it under the seat where it is not exposed to the sun

Steve Schoene
08-26-2008, 3:30 PM
I'd think a small brass plate with the basic information on it would be nice. Like you see in public places naming the donors, etc. Any trophy shop will have such plates. For a really nifty look, inlet the plate rather than just tacking it on the surface.

Terry Sparks
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I really like Steve's idea with the inlayed brass plate, that would last forever. One finish you could go with is the Waterlox marine finish sealer and then the marine top coat, which is clear high gloss finish that would, IMHO, really make the swing pleasing to the eye and always beg someone to sit in your porch swing.

Jon Crowley
08-27-2008, 2:31 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll do the brass plate. Just to see how it holds up, I'll also try hand signing the wood also on a side that doesn't face the sun.