PDA

View Full Version : Flexcut Carving Tool set

Michael McCoy
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Browsing through many threads to get a handle on a fair tool set for myself to do some touch up, I saw Flexcut mentioned several times. For those that might be interested, I just ordered the 5 piece set from Rockler on clearance for a $49.99 and free shipping (not sure how long that goes for though)

Stan Smith
08-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a set of flexcut tools and also The Jack with folding tools like the individual knifes with fewer of course. The jack is great for trips or while waiting for your wife to shop.

Vic Castello
10-02-2008, 7:55 PM
Flexcut tools are a top American brand in carving tools. I have a mallet set and a palm set, as well as several of their knives, and I love all of them. If you are already used to the more traditional European top brands like Stubai, Ashely Iles, Pfiel, etc...you might not like them because as their name suggests, they "flex" a lot more, and they feel lighter then the others, which I happen to like.

They are also considerably less expensive than some of the other brands mentioned, and if you ever need to send them back for resharpening, the service is very fast and cost effective. I sent my 5 year old mallet set back to the factory in Erie, Pennsylvania recently because as the inexperienced carver that I was, I had beaten up on them pretty bad over the years, including improper sharpening. Flexcut charges $4 per tool for resharpening, and that includes return shipping. I got the 5 of them back with brand new factory edges on them in less than a week! I know that some European makers will service their tools for free for as long as you own them...but you "ain't" getting them back in a week, and of course, you have the costs of shipping them overseas.

I hope this was helpful.

:)