PDA

View Full Version : Dust Mask

Greg McCallister
08-26-2008, 5:43 AM
Was looking into getting the Dust Bee Gone dust mask but it actually only filters down to 3 microns and it is quite pricey.
I hate wearing a cartridge mask due to weight and the paper disposable ones fog up my glasses. Wood working is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.
What do you use - any suggestions?
I have no facial hair in case that is a concern.

Travis Rassat
08-26-2008, 9:14 AM
I know you hate wearing a cartridge mask, but the one I use is a single cartridge unit and not too heavy:

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Woodworkers-Respirator-95190/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219755865&sr=8-1

It seals to my face nicely and is pretty comfortable, as far as wearing a mask goes. It's cheap, too. I keep mine in a Tupperware container to keep the dust off when I'm not using it.

I'd love to try out one of the powered respirators at some point.

Prashun Patel
08-26-2008, 9:24 AM
I use the same one as Travis. Works well. No fog.

Danny Thompson
08-26-2008, 4:06 PM
Me too. No fog.

Greg McCallister
08-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Ordered one, hope its what you guys say it is. Thanks!

Rob Diz
08-27-2008, 3:24 PM
3M sells a disposible N95 mask with a vent. I wear glasses and do not have a fogging issue. I may pay a bit more for the disposible, but I also can throw it out if, say, I forget to put it on and just do a quickey with the router throwing chips and dust on the inside of my mask:eek:, not like that has ever happened to me. I buy 3 or 4 boxes of 10 masks at a time. I use google to find 'em at a decent price.

Wayne Cannon
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Don't rule out a forced-air face mask/helmet. I tried several face masks and cartridge filter styles before deciding to spend the money on a better solution. I've never regretted it since. They are light-weight, and they blow fresh filtered air over your face so your glasses never fog and you don't sweat. I use a 3M with an belt-mounted battery pack that has become very expensive, but would consider the Trend version today.

John Henry Newman
08-28-2008, 7:54 AM
Anyone know where I could pick up a replacement rubber strap to keep this thing on my head? Mine broke recently and I haven't been able to locate a replacement. Thanks!

I know you hate wearing a cartridge mask, but the one I use is a single cartridge unit and not too heavy:

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Woodworkers-Respirator-95190/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219755865&sr=8-1

It seals to my face nicely and is pretty comfortable, as far as wearing a mask goes. It's cheap, too. I keep mine in a Tupperware container to keep the dust off when I'm not using it.

I'd love to try out one of the powered respirators at some point.

Douglas Brummett
08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I use a 3M 7500 series mask coupled with a 2091 particle filter. The mask is very comfortable and I notice no fogging with my goggles since it exhausts downward. With just the particulate filter it is fairly light. With chem filters it gets heavier. I like this mask as it gives me plenty of options for filter media and maintenance parts down the road.

Greg McCallister
09-04-2008, 1:07 PM
Got the dust mask yesterday, I have to admit is is light and comfortable.
Although I did not wear it for more than ten minutes, it seemed to be better than any other I have used as far a comfort.
Like how it just covers what is necessay. I would think though if you had a long face or large nose it might not fit properly.
Will give it a full test this weekend. Will follow up when I can.