PDA

View Full Version : First bowl and recent bowl comparison

Christopher Fletcher
08-26-2008, 2:49 AM
My first bowl is this Olive bowl.

I turned it between centers and left the tenon in the hollow for months until I bought a chuck. When I got my cole jaws, I knocked off the tenon and reversed the bowl to carve out a recess. Once the recess was formed I mounted it and finish scraped the inside of the bowl. I finished the bowl with boiled linseed oil and friction polish. I was pretty proud of myself because before that bowl I had never turned anything before. I really went about it the hard way, but I learned several things about turning from that first experience. I now have quite a few jaw sets, a bunch of turning tools, and a library of sandpaper. Even with my newly acquired turning tools, I have much to learn.

This is my most recent complete bowl. It started out as a platter, but my blank had several hidden checks that ran pretty deep. I salvaged what wood I could into this Ash bowl...

I turned the walls so thin I could see light through them. Unfortunately, because I had turned the recess deep, I had to leave the bottom of the bowl disproportionally thick. Had I turned a tenon instead of a recess, I could have just turned the tenon away with the cole jaws. Oh well, live and learn. It is finished with tung oil and paste wax. Comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2008, 4:26 AM
Shows what a difference some experience does make Chris, I do like your new Ash bowl, good shape and very nicely done rim and finish :D.
And yes better a whole bowl than a split platter, even if it feels like wasting wood :eek:
If you feel that you still have too much weight and wood in the foot, you could turn and shape the foot so there's just a ring left to stand on, I'll see if I have a picture that shows what I mean.
Thanks for showing both your old and new work :D:D

The picture doesn't show the same shape you have, but I think you can see what I mean with the ring as a foot.

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2008, 7:42 AM
Big difference! Ash bowl has a very nice form to it and great looking wood! Always amazing how much better we get with just a little experience! I still have a number of my first bowls on a shelf........ in the shop......in a dark corner.... where no one can see them! LOL

Chris - glad to see you posting!

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2008, 9:35 AM
Great looking bowl and what a difference a little experience makes.

robert hainstock
08-26-2008, 9:36 AM
They both look OK to my old eye. If we can keep the piece from a catch, and susequent flight across the shop, we cqan make something neat out of it. You have done that with both pieces, and I too like the shape and form of the second one. :):)
Bob

Christopher Fletcher
08-26-2008, 4:29 PM
Shows what a difference some experience does make Chris, I do like your new Ash bowl, good shape and very nicely done rim and finish :D.
And yes better a whole bowl than a split platter, even if it feels like wasting wood :eek:
If you feel that you still have too much weight and wood in the foot, you could turn and shape the foot so there's just a ring left to stand on, I'll see if I have a picture that shows what I mean.
Thanks for showing both your old and new work :D:D

The picture doesn't show the same shape you have, but I think you can see what I mean with the ring as a foot.

Great suggestion Leo. I very well could turn the bottom again with my cole jaws. I think I'll give that a try tomorrow and post the results soon enough.

curtis rosche
08-26-2008, 4:59 PM
they look good. at least it didnt blowup