PDA

View Full Version : Turned Ring Holder

Christopher Fletcher
08-26-2008, 1:24 AM
I got the idea from American Woodturner Magazine. I turned a piece of QS Pecan from my recent harvest. I finished it with three coats of pure tung oil and two coats of friction polish. The pictures really aren't the best as I couldn't find my tripod and my lighting was a little harsh. Enlarge the picture to appreciate the beautiful red flecked vanilla hardwood. Here is my first attempt at a ring holder.

Comments and suggestions most gratefully appreciated! Thanks, Christopher

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2008, 3:38 AM
Hi Chris, good job on the ring caddie, should keep rings and jewelry safe and tidy, what are your caddies dimensions ??
No Pecan growing over here, closest is Hickory, is this the regular color of Pecan ??, looks very light colored.
It also looks like you have enough weight in the bottom to keep it safely upright, I like that, thanks for showing

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2008, 9:40 AM
Great looking piece. Great looking wood and finish.

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice form - really nice looking wood!

Christopher Fletcher
08-26-2008, 4:55 PM
Thanks again all! The coloring of the wood is natural. A very rich creamy vanilla with red flecking. In some parts of the wood, there are very deep sienna colored streaks. I am saving those pieces for some larger projects. I think those will turn out very nice.

Dimensions:

My blank started as a 3 x 3 x 5 rectangle. I rough turned the spindle down to 3/4" diameter. I tapered it down with a round nose scraper so that the top of the form is 1/2" to accept my fiance's ring size. The little oblong bead at the bottom of the spindle remained at the original 3/4" width to keep the rings from sliding down too far. The larger bead below that is 1 1/8" in diameter and tapers down into the center of the bowl at a diameter of 3/4". The bowl is 1 3/8" tall and tapers from 2 7/8" to 1 3/8" at the bottom. The overall height of the piece is 3 7/8".

Jon Lanier
08-26-2008, 11:46 PM
I got the idea from American Woodturner Magazine...

Is that on online or just in the magazine.... if on web... where can I find it.
Thanks
-JOn

Christopher Fletcher
08-27-2008, 2:07 PM
Is that on online or just in the magazine.... if on web... where can I find it.
Thanks
-JOn
Jon,
I picked up the magazine from Barnes & Noble. It was American Woodturner's "Summer 2008" edition. The article is called Rings & Things, and the author is Nick Cook -- a member of the AAW. You might be able to find something on their website, woodturner.org. Here is the cached link (http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:m8WUruAUlXgJ:www.woodturner.org/products/aw/+ring&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us) to that edition as they have moved onto their fall edition.
C.

Ben Gastfriend
08-27-2008, 4:13 PM
Really nice work. The beads look nice and so does the wood.