PDA

View Full Version : Centauro Bandsaw info..

Rick Fisher
08-26-2008, 1:21 AM
The reason I posted about the Laguna 4.5hp motor is that I am considering buying a used 1989 Centauro 500 NL Band saw.

The model number is an NL-500. It has 500 mm wheels.

Its in good shape and runs fine but has a 600V motor. I made a lower offer on it and it was accepted. So I can justify a new 5hp single phase motor for it.

I cannot find any information on this machine at all. I had emailed Centauro in Italy but have yet to hear from them.

The seller told me it was re-named to a CO-500. I found CO-600 on the Centauro website. I assume the CO-500 was discontinued.

So I wonder if anyone has an older NL series Centauro band saw, or knows of anyone who has one of these older machines.

My plan is to restore it 100%. New motor, bearings, paint..

Walt Caza
08-26-2008, 4:51 AM
Hi Rick,
Congrats on your bandsaw acquisition!
Sounds like a good and worthy rehab machine.
You seem to know lots about machinery, so this will probably not be much help...

but for those who do not know...
My bandsaw came out of the Centauro factory.
It's the 4.7hp single phase at 240volt, MM16 with 16" resaw.
95581 95582

100% restore is a lofty goal!
Good luck with your refurbish.
take it easy,
Walt

Joe Meazle
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Rick,
Could we get a pic of your Bandsaw? I just bought an old Centauro BS this past week too. I have not found a modle # yet but here is the pic from CL. It should 600 # as it is in 600mm or arox-23-24" inch range. I will be eager to see what you can find out.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/meazlejr/centauroBS.jpg

Mike Heidrick
08-26-2008, 8:32 PM
I can give specs from my centauro MM20 4.5hp (or whatever hp it is) motor - would that work?

Rick Fisher
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Woodworks_bandsaw_002-1.jpg

This is the machine.

It needs some love. lol.. Its a different model than the one you have, it doesnt have the same frame. Yours looks like a CL series. Cast iron..

This one is an NL series. Do you know how old yours is?

Mike Heidrick
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Looks to be worth some love though!!! Considering what some of us paid, even used, you stole that saw!

Joe Meazle
08-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Yep mine is one solid chunk of CI. It took me all night to get it into the shop. I can't find a modle # a ser # or a date anywhere. Mine is going to need new guides new electricals the tires might be ok I will most likely replace the bearings too. Any info you can pass along will be helpful.
I got a 30 year old 16" Tannewitz up and going a few years ago. The Centauro seems every bit as heavy but much more basic.

Rick Fisher
08-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I actually dont own it. I am going to buy it on Friday. I am just trying to learn anything about it prior to Friday. lol..

I can find Centauro but nothing on this model.

Dave Bender
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I believe that Centauro SPA of Italy is represented in the USA by Premier Machinery Inc. Their phone number is 440.563.5849 . If you go to the Centauro website (www.centaurospa.it (http://www.centaurospa.it)) and select the tab "Rete di vendita" (sales network?) you can then find the distributor information for north america. You might consider contacting Scott & Sargeant in the UK as they are a Centauro full range dealer.

Joe Meazle
08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks Dave, I will give them a call. I am thinking about hitting up SCMI. Mys saw looks like a CI version of the SCMI SC600.

Rick Fisher
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Well..

Since I couldnt find any reference to this saw, anywhere on the web, and there was an auction in Vancouver today as well. I checked it out.

There was an SCMI SC-600 in this auction which I ended up buying instead. I pick it up on Friday.

Same deal, restoration project. Its all there and running fine, just needs to be polished up real purdy..

I think this machine will last me a lifetime.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Rick...Congrats. All I can say is my 1-year old MM-16......my two sons will fight over it when I'm gone.

John Thompson
08-28-2008, 8:17 AM
I don't think you could have gone wrong with either purchase, Rick. Both are hosses... something similiar to Clydes-dales.... feed em and they're raring to go.... :)

Enjoy...

Sarge..

Joe Meazle
08-28-2008, 9:30 AM
Congrats Rick,
I bet that SCMI has even more incommon with mine than the Centauro.

Jake Loewen
09-27-2011, 1:08 PM
Joe, how'd the cast iron Centauro work out for you? There's one in my neighborhood that looks like it has some life left in it, but it'd be great to get the scoop from someone who's used one before I buy the local one.
The entire body except for the doors is CI, right?
Does the table trunnion/support arrangement work well? On this one it looks strong but oddly cobbled together.
Is the upper blade guide bar housed in babbit, or did they actually machine that support hole into the CI upper frame back? Any thing I ought to know in general or particular?
Thanks