PDA

View Full Version : I need a production turner. hopfully locally.

Steve knight
08-26-2008, 12:49 AM
I have a company that wants me to make their product. But I don’t think it is practical to do it on my cnc machine atleast the turning part. I think I would end up just tying it up on that one job.
The part is 18” long and I think about ¾” in size sanded with a square end. Made from maple and domestics and tropical woods and sanded.
Right now they are looking at 1000 or so but it could jump way up.
So I would like to find someone that can handle volume and do these fast.
Here in Portland Oregon would be good.

Matt Hutchinson
08-26-2008, 7:05 AM
I don't think there are a whole lot of production turning shops around, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, if you can't find someone locally, I think there is a business that does this near here in Michigan.

Hutch

Bob Hallowell
08-26-2008, 1:40 PM
Reed Gray is a production turner, But he mostly does bowls but you never know if the price is right.

Bob

Dale Bright
08-26-2008, 2:27 PM
Not in Oregon but a production turner with a copy lathe that can do the work.

http://www.redoakhollow.com/

Steve knight
08-26-2008, 3:07 PM
I should have drawings soon but I found it is made from a 2" blank and it is about 1.5" in diameter.

curtis rosche
08-26-2008, 4:55 PM
how soon do you need them, what other woods besides maple, and how much would the pay be?

Reed Gray
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Steve,
Call the Woodcraft Store in Tigard. There are 2 turning clubs in the Portland area, and some one in the clubs should be able to help you. I have a friend here in Eugene who has a duplicator, and he may be able to do the job as well. I do turn mostly bowls, but might consider some thing like that. Leave me a PM, or send an e-mail.
robo hippy

Steve knight
08-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I emailed the Oregon woodturners guild. I am getting a quote from one guy right now. this really needs automation it would be a real pain to have to do these without.

Art kraft
08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Steve
This is what I have done for years. I have a hydraulic copy lathe, hopper fed. Send me a drawing and I will quote it for you. 1000 pcs is a nice order.