PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut it????

Brian Hale
05-04-2004, 5:47 PM
I need to cut a piece of melamine 28" x 49.5" from a full sheet. Should i rip first and then crosscut or crosscut and then rip?

Seems that no matter which way i go i'll wish i'd cut it the other way when i go to use the left overs.

Brian :confused:

Steven Wilson
05-04-2004, 5:49 PM
You could rough cut out a piece a bit oversize with a jig saw and then trim to size on the tablesaw.

Brian Hale
05-04-2004, 5:58 PM
You're right Steve and i've done that before. I don't like moving the left over around as it's kinda wobbly but it does leave me better yield for later.

Dave Falkenstein
05-04-2004, 6:24 PM
If you are cutting the sheet on a table saw, I think it is easier to handle the full sheet with the 8 foot dimension feeding into the blade. Then you can handle the piece for the other cut a bit more easily. If you are trying to use the left-over pieces in the most efficient manner, then it seems you would need to know what your future needs will be - probably don't know that, eh? Oh WTH, just go ahead and cut.

Todd Burch
05-04-2004, 7:06 PM
I would cross cut to 49.5" first. That would leave just under a 1/2 sheet, then the other partial sheet would be 49.5" x 20".

Otherwise, you have a piece 8' x 20". I try to leave "larger square" rather than "long and thin" whenever I can. "Long and thin" are easy to come by.

Brian Hale
05-04-2004, 7:42 PM
Thats what i did, crosscut then rip. It's just one of those things where i never have what i need the next time.

I guess i could buy an extra sheet everytime.... Hmmmm More stock....

Jim Becker
05-04-2004, 8:32 PM
For future projects, you might download a copy of CutlistPlus so you can play with the layouts and "see" what each orientation leaves you from an efficient use of material standpoint. I've found it to be a very valuable application when it comes to figuring out how to cut things out of sheet goods...and it likely saved me many times it's cost in my kitchen project.