PDA

View Full Version : Corian Countertops

Frank Defert
08-25-2008, 7:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was just checking the free section on Craig's List and found some beige coloured corian countertops. Is this the same corian as what Creeker's have been buying and using for sign making and engraving? Can this corian be effectively salvaged for this same purpose?

If so can corian be machined with regular woodworking tools to make the pieces more manageable and useable? I have also read here on the Creek that it can be engraved but best results are achieved by colourfilling. Can it be vector cut as well?

Any input, suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks .... Frank

Bruce Volden
08-25-2008, 7:55 PM
Frank

WW'ing tools will work on Corian, although there are special saws that are more suited for cutting it. (less chip out on edges) It sands GREAT and will take on a glasslike finish easily. I use my bandsaw to resaw it to about 1/8" thick and the laser will cut it. I really like it for inlay work, especially the "ivory" color-looks great as faux scrimshaw work. Hope that helps out a little.

Bruce

Keith Outten
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was just checking the free section on Craig's List and found some beige coloured corian countertops. Is this the same corian as what Creeker's have been buying and using for sign making and engraving? Can this corian be effectively salvaged for this same purpose?

If so can corian be machined with regular woodworking tools to make the pieces more manageable and useable? I have also read here on the Creek that it can be engraved but best results are achieved by colourfilling. Can it be vector cut as well?

Any input, suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks .... Frank

Frank,

Corian cuts easily with most woodworking machines and routes well with carbide router bits. In some ways it is much like working with wood. Corian engraves well, you color fill for contrast. You can vector cut Corian if your laser has enough power. I have cut 1/4" Corian with a 60 watt laser, the cut quality was very impressive but I have not had any luck with 1/2" thick Corian.

Corian cuts really well on a band saw, table saws tend to leave a rough edge on the top of the material. For long straight cuts I use my EZ Guide and circular saw, even with a very cheap blade Corian cuts perfectly using the EZ system.

You can heat Corian and bend it at 300 degrees F using forms to hold the shape until it gets back down to 180 degrees.

Recycling old counter tops is a great way to get Corian cheap or free. You can sand the surface to remove scratches and you can glue up small pieces for larger projects.

Great Stuff.......

James A. Wolfe
08-26-2008, 1:28 AM
Frank,
Along with recycling countertops (a great idea) you can generally get a good deal on scraps or drops at a local fabricator shop. I expressed an interest and got a few scraps from a nearby shop. I turned the owner a handful of pens and engraved his shop name. Suffice it to say, I will never run out of Corian.
Jim

Abdullah Almalki
08-26-2008, 2:27 PM
Keith,

What is the cutting speed for 1/4" Corian with 60W laser ?

Bob Cole
08-26-2008, 3:30 PM
That is good news on cutting with a CO2 laser. I will get some scraps and try.

Keith Outten
08-26-2008, 9:39 PM
Sorry i don't have the numbers here in my workshop, they are in my office at CNU. I believe it was 100% power and .08 IPS.

I will verify the numbers tomorrow morning.

Frank Defert
08-31-2008, 4:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info. I lost out on the craigslist offering but will be ready for the next one. Am also going to now look into corian in my area and see what I can find.

Thanks .... Frank

Bob Cole
09-04-2008, 5:16 PM
I contacted Dupont (again) and got in touch with the local supplier. I met with them Yesterday and am setup to purchase Corian (1/4" at least). I was testing last night with scrap material and found that with my 60watt, I had to put it on the slowest speed possible (.3%), 100 pwr, 1000ppi (ULS recommended for acrylic). I had air assist going and it cut fairly well (just took a long time). The cutting board I cut out today is 9.5"X7" and took 9min 26sec.

All I had in the shop was 120grit and it did not take long to clean up the surface and edges. Not sure I really need to go for the shiny look, but will further sand with 220 and possibly 400. I used a dremel to get the inside and it was quick to take away the material.

Ed Lang
09-04-2008, 9:02 PM
IF you need to cut cutting boards quicker, make a template out of say baltic birch and use a hand router and pattern bit to follow the template. Then you can engrave something nice on the boards.

Just an idea.