PDA

View Full Version : Apricot bowl

Tom Green
08-25-2008, 5:23 PM
Here is a bowl I turned this weekend out of some apricot firewood. I was very pleased with the colors and grain patterns in it. The bowl is 5.75" wide X 3" tall.
Sorry about the picture quality, I was playng with a photo tent and trying to figure out the camera. The background is white poster board but the wood colors are pretty close.
Thanks for looking and all comments and critiques welcome.
Tom

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2008, 5:59 PM
Tom that is a good looking bowl and the wood is beautiful. Wouldn't have thought that apricot would be that dark.

curtis rosche
08-25-2008, 6:09 PM
whats with the hole? in the third picture it looks like a manitee. looks nice

robert hainstock
08-25-2008, 7:46 PM
That stuff is very hard, and you have turned a very nice piece out of it. Congrats. :):):) SORRY Tom, the best thoing I do any more is quickly forget. It is Tom, Tom, Tom.
Bob

Tom Green
08-25-2008, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bernie, I had a feeling the colors would be nice when I anchorsealed this little log, and was quite happy when I put the oil to it.

Curtis, The side of the bowl with the big hole has a lot of wormwork in it. A combination of very thin walls and catching the edge of the hole with sandpaper made it a little bigger.

Robert, Don't worry about it, I've been called much worse than Wayne!

Tom

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Tom, nice form and good looking wood.
I have planted some Apricot on my property, but I can't seem to keep them alive, they are attacked by borers and just die off, I still have one, and the size would be about 6 or 7 inches D I think, but I'm afraid it will not look as good as your wood, but I hope it will, as it has to come down soon.

Matt Hutchinson
08-26-2008, 7:23 AM
Very pretty! I like it a lot. I haven't seen many apricot bowls, and I really love the color and grain. Beautiful piece!

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Really nice bowl Tom! Nice shape and beautiful wood! Amazing color and grain!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Tom....beautiful bowl. I like the form and the wood grain and color. I have some dryed apricot wood. It's is hard!