PDA

View Full Version : Craft Show's

Rex Guinn
08-25-2008, 4:13 PM
Hi all, I have not posted for a while, been busy, now I am getting ready for my first craft show. I purchased a 10'x10' harbor freight canopy. Now need to decide what to use for cheap shelving for my bowls, pens etc. Since I don't have enough product to fill the booth a friend that does scroll saw work is going in with me. This is just a test to see if we like it and can sell some of our stuff, you all know how much an 18" bandsaw and a 3520b are can't get them until I save some $$$,. I do have a couple of tables and will cover them with material. So what are you all using to show your products?
Pictures would be great!

Frank Kobilsek
08-25-2008, 4:43 PM
Rex,

Tables covered with a dark table cloth works for me for the 3 or 4 shows per year I do. BUT you need to bet them up higher. Typical folding tables are only 30" high. I made extentions with PVC pipe and some dowels to raise them up. A couple milk crates and a 1 x 10 covered by the table cloth adds anpther layer of hieght.

Try to look professional but don't spend too much on your first couple attempts. First you need to understand if you enjoy this way to market your work, it ain't the easist way to make a buck. Second you need to watch people interact with your work. That watching this give you the ideas you need to build a booth that will last you a few years.

Good Luck
Frank

robert hainstock
08-25-2008, 8:03 PM
I used Green pool table cloth bought at a yard goods store for my tables. Good luck. :):)
Bob

Jim Kountz
08-28-2008, 8:37 PM
I recently saw a nice setup where the tables were all slanted forward, angling the goods towards the viewer. Not alot just a little bit and it was very nice. The guy had all his stuff in rows with a black cloth on the tables and small white card stock "signs" describing each piece or groups of pieces. The mistake I thought he made was all his prices were on the bottom of everything forcing people to pick up and handle everything more than necessary I thought.

Barry Stratton
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Here's my modest attempt at a show set-up. I've done 2 so far this year with "so-so" results. Light crowds and tight wallets............. I'm hoping Christmas loosens up the wallets:D and brings more crowds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2571700x497.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2573471x600.jpg

Bob Hallowell
08-29-2008, 4:51 AM
Very nice spread Barry, and you look way to young to be retired!

Bob

curtis rosche
08-29-2008, 8:11 AM
jim, the idea of putting the price on the bottom actualy sells more. it makes people pick it up, they realize that the bowl is not as heavy as they think, they begin to think they could use one, it also makes it seam not so fragile. had this explained by david lancaster. he sells a ton of bowls. the other thing is, if they are willing to pick it up and look then they might be willing to buy

Jim Kountz
08-29-2008, 9:22 AM
jim, the idea of putting the price on the bottom actualy sells more. it makes people pick it up, they realize that the bowl is not as heavy as they think, they begin to think they could use one, it also makes it seam not so fragile. had this explained by david lancaster. he sells a ton of bowls. the other thing is, if they are willing to pick it up and look then they might be willing to buy

That makes good sense Curtis I can see where that would make a difference. I just had thoughts of all sorts of greasy paws handling and possibly dropping/damaging something. Some guy eats a chili dog then comes over and picks up a bowl and gets goop all over it. I suppose to some extent that kind of thing cant be helped though! Thanks for the tips!

curtis rosche
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
i didnt think of that, but then, the show i was at where i met david lancaster didnt have food. he also uses that food safe finish stuff that doesnt really shine or gloss, and once he sells it he reaplies the finish for the customer, so then he can get them to buy finish with it, making more money. www.heirloombowls.com