PDA

View Full Version : Cradle hardware

Fred LeBail
05-04-2004, 2:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I did a search of this site and found some very impressive Cradles. As I have my first grandchild coming in a couple of months,or so, I thought I had better get started on the "Grandpappy tradition". I have an idea of what it will be like and what I am looking for is a source for the "swing and lock mechanism", (for lack of a better discription) . I have checked out Lee Valley & Rockler with no luck so I am turning to you guys for help.
Thanks in advance.
Fred

Bart Sharp
05-04-2004, 4:49 PM
When I built a swinging cradle for my neice, I just used 1" dowel that rides in brass bushings in the uprights. A little bit of wax and it swings very nicely.

At the time, I wasn't smart enough to install a lock, but if I had been it would have been as simple as a hole through the upright and into the cradle box with a pin to keep the box from swinging.

If you want (and maybe even if you don't!) I'll scan a picture and shoot it up here. It's not an original idea, but it did keep me from having to buy specialty hardware.

Fred LeBail
05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Bart, I would really appreciate you doing that. At this point any thing will help get my mind moving if I have to improvise one. I thought the hardware would have been available though one of the Suppliers.
Thanks, Fred

Bart Sharp
05-06-2004, 4:19 PM
Bart, I would really appreciate you doing that. At this point any thing will help get my mind moving if I have to improvise one. I thought the hardware would have been available though one of the Suppliers.
Thanks, Fred

I haven't forgotten about you Fred, I'll get those pictures scanned in the next day or two. Unfortunately, they were taken pre-digital. Last night and tonight I am tied up making students' lives miserable (finals time...mwahahahahaha!!!), but I should get something up tomorrow.

I never looked for actual hardware, but I'm a little surprised that no one has jumped in with a ready source. I think I would prefer to do without it, but surely someone sells the stuff.

Terre Hooks
05-06-2004, 7:53 PM
I've got a pic of the one I built, I could post it or send it to you.

I am not sure what you mean by "swing and lock mechanism".

Fred LeBail
05-06-2004, 9:15 PM
Thanks Bart, torture the kids. HeHeHe!!!
Terre, I mean the pivot point for a hanging cradle & a locking system so it can remain stationary.I would like to see your pics.
Thanks , Fred

Bart Sharp
05-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Here are two pictures of the cradle I built for my neice. I don't have any detail pictures of the swinging mechanism, but you should get the idea. There are 1" walnut dowels glued into the cradle box uprights. They slip into brass bushings that are slightly more than 1" ID. The brass bushings are epoxied in place in the "towers". With a little wax, the cradle rocks pretty well. Not, I'm sure, as well as some kind of ball bearing hardware, but I was happy with it.

Fred LeBail
05-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Thank's Bart for taking the time to find & sent pictures.I am probably trying to make this project to complicated because it is for my 1st Grandchild.
I glued up some oak sides yesterday so today I will get some more done.
I guess if I jump in and get started, all my projects, it will be fine when it is completed.
I'll keep you guys up to date.

Thanks again, Fred

Terre Hooks
05-12-2004, 4:31 PM
Here is the cradle I built. I used Rockler's "Roto hinge". The plan called for a 1/2" dowel with a knob glued on one end and a leather string attached as a means for stopping the swinging action. It is not installed here.

It called for you to drill a 9/16" hole through one of the upright supports and the bottom of the basket. When you want to make the cradle stationary, you put the dowel in.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/album02/crib2.sized.jpg

Bart Sharp
05-12-2004, 7:54 PM
Thank's Bart for taking the time to find & sent pictures.I am probably trying to make this project to complicated because it is for my 1st Grandchild.
I glued up some oak sides yesterday so today I will get some more done.
I guess if I jump in and get started, all my projects, it will be fine when it is completed.
I'll keep you guys up to date.

Thanks again, Fred

I know what you mean about just jumping in. This cradle was only my second piece of furniture, and it was my first with mortise and tenon construction. What better way to jump into M&T than a project with many many slats!

Of course, the picture hides most of the glaring defects in both design and construction. :D

Bruce Page
05-12-2004, 8:36 PM
Fred, below is a quick sketch of the cradle lock system I used on my granddaughters cradle. It is from the Woodsmith plan. I have some machine shop stuff so I made all the hardware from brass, it could just as easily be made from wood.

BTW, congratulations on soon becoming a “grandpappy” :D :D

Here is a link to the cradle I built last year: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2801

Fred LeBail
05-13-2004, 8:34 PM
Well guys, Thanks for all the info and pictures of your cradles and hardware ideas. As I have said the sides are glued up and today I mortised the bottom and top rails for the sides. the top Rail will be of a Sleighbed design which I have finished shaping but not finished sanding.
Tomorrow I will mill out the slats for the sides and do a dry fit.
Thanks again,
Fred

P.S. I will keep you posted on my progress .