PDA

View Full Version : Finishing help needed

Jim Baker
03-11-2003, 7:18 PM
Earlier this winter I helped my uncle and his 11 year old son build a small oak table for my cousin's 4-H project. He will be using it in their kitchen to hold their parakeet cage.

When we completed the table, they took it home unfinished. I told them that they needed to get it finished soon, before anything got on it and damaged it. (a strong possibility since there are 5 boys in the house including a set of very curious and active 8 year old twins).

Last night my uncle called to tell me that they had stained the table over the weekend with Zar oil based stain in some type of a medium walnut color. After it was stained they notice a hand print on the top surface (I'm guessing it is about the size of an average 8 year old's hand). He is thinking it may have been caused by a greasy hand that had probably been eating popcorn. There is also some type of stain on the lower surface possibly caused by something being drizzled over it.

Does anyone have any ideas about how they can salvage it?

Sanding down the surface and restaining?
Staining it a darker color to help mask it?
Setting the parakeet cage over the hand print? (I'm sure the parakeet wouldn't mind, but I don't think the 4-H judge will be impressed?

What do you guys think?