PDA

View Full Version : Project Related Electrical Question

Anthony Whitesell
08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I am in the process of building a project that will contain an electrical outlet. Is it permissable (by UL or NEC) to have a "wooden junction box"?

The area behind the electrical outlet is isolated and secure (ie., you can't accidentially reach in the area behind the outlets and get electrocuted) but it is made of wood. I am wondering if I need to find a way to add a metal or plastic junction "liner" in the area behind the outlet.

Tom Veatch
08-25-2008, 2:50 PM
...The area behind the electrical outlet is isolated and secure (ie., you can accidentially reach in there and get electrocuted) but it is made of wood. ....

That statement seems contradictory. Did you mean to say "you can't accidentally..."?

In either case, a homebuilt enclosure won't be UL listed/approved, so if that's an important consideration...

Anthony Whitesell
08-25-2008, 4:16 PM
That statement seems contradictory. Did you mean to say "you can't accidentally..."?

In either case, a homebuilt enclosure won't be UL listed/approved, so if that's an important consideration...

I edited the original post. It may not be UL listed, but I may make a few as gifts and would prefer that any code violations be minimized. ;)

Pete Bradley
08-25-2008, 4:22 PM
I think you should make an enclosure that will fit an approved junction box.

Pete

Colin Wollerman
08-25-2008, 7:18 PM
The area behind the electrical outlet is isolated and secure (ie., you can't accidentially reach in the area behind the outlets and get electrocuted) but it is made of wood. I am wondering if I need to find a way to add a metal or plastic junction "liner" in the area behind the outlet.[/quote]

Hi Anthony,
The reason to have a "listed" box is that if there is a problem (read;FIRE) at the plug and the combustible material (wood) is not isolated from it, the "problem" could spread:(
If a standard box will not work in your application I would make or have made a suitable enclosure. This could be as simple as some thin sheet metal trimmed and bent to make a small box...buck fiddy at the hardware store would probably get a solution.
If you are giving a gift and your gut feeling is to make it safer...that is what I would do.
Colin

Mike Cutler
08-25-2008, 7:32 PM
Anthony

A question or two.

Is this a permanent installation, ie a built in bookshelf or hutch that will have electrical built into it, and hardwired to the existing house electrical system? or is this a stand alone unit that will plug into a duplex receptacle?

This would be determining factor as to whether the electrical will be covered by the NEC, or not. The code "generally, but not 100% always", stops at the duplex receptacle if the device is a plug in device.
None the less, I would place any electrical service inside an NEC approved enclosure, and ensure that the ground is carried properly. I would not use a strictly wooden enclosure personally.
I also have a number of wooden Art Deco switch and duplex receptacle cover plates in my home, and all of them have a metal(copper) layer on the back of them to make a positive electrical connection, referenced to ground, to the switch or receptacle device, and enclosure.
No matter what you do though. Make sure the ground can be carried.

My 2 cents fwiw.

Rollie Meyers
08-25-2008, 7:51 PM
Just a FYI UL "approves" nothing, they list items after they test them if a package says "UL Approved" it's likely a counterfeit item.

Colin Wollerman
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Good point Mike. Proper grounding is often neglected. Another good idea when using small metal boxes is to put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the receptacle terminations.
Always use some type of strain relief or connector (not tape)to protect the wire comming into the back of the box
Also, I have done many a service call on bad plugs and have found that even though many 15 amp receptacles have a "push in" option for termination always use the screw lug. The spring of the push in fails over time.
C