PDA

View Full Version : sharpening tools talk to me.

jason lambert
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
What should I get for a sharping set up I have seen the torrmec, slow speed grinders with jigs. What is the best thing to get to sharpen my tools?

Heather Thompson
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Jason,

I have sharpening stones, the scary sharp system and the Tormek, I would recommend the Tormek. I attended a six week woodworking program a few years back, the lead instructor did not like my Tormek, the other students and a couple of other instructors really liked the machine. I do use stones for quick touch ups on my tools, but the wet grinder sees use on a daily basis.

Heather

Wilbur Pan
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about turning tools? I use a Tormek for this. Others use a grinder/Wolverine-type setup. Both methods will work.

The main reason I got the Tormek is that I was paranoid about sparks in the small enclosed area that I call my shop, and also worry about inhaling grinder and metal dust.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2008, 1:59 PM
I have both the wolverine jig and the Tormek. I really like the Tormek so far and like Wilber I was a little concerned about sparks and dry wood chips.

David Walser
08-25-2008, 2:25 PM
Jason,

Most turners I've met use a slow speed dry grinder and some sort of jig (like the Wolverine or Woodcut's Tru-Grind). Lyle Jamieson, in his video Bowl Basics the Easy Way says he strongly prefers the Tru-Grind to the Wolverine. (I do too.) Go here to see both jigs: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening?Args=

Some of us prefer a Tormek to a dry grinder. We are a distinct, but loud, minority. Wood Magazine just reviewed three types of sharpening systems, hand sharpening with a jig and a stone or sandpaper, dry sharpeners (but not grinders), and wet grinders like the Tormek. Of the three, the article, in the October 2008 issue of the magazine, recommends the Tormek. Note: The article only addresses sharpening tools for flat work, not bowl gouges and the like. I could not find a free link to the article on the web (you can pay to download), but see if you can find a copy of the article. You might feel the author's reasoning applies to turning tools, too.

jason lambert
08-25-2008, 3:07 PM
I have used a grinder and a Wolverine. In fact the few people I turned with and the classes I took all had that set up. So I am fimilar with it I have never used a tormek. I really just want something easy and that works well.