PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Granddaughter

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2008, 11:14 AM
This small hand mirror was turned as a birthday gift for our 3 year old granddaughter. It is turned out of one piece of curly maple and is somewhat ‘bomb proof’ to withstand the rigors of a 3 year old! The acrylic bead is from a small bracelet and completes the handle length as well as add a certain ‘jewel’ aspect !

The hand mirror measures 7 ¼” long x 3 3/8” wide x ¾” thick, sanded to 400 grit and has 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly.

95503 95504 95505 95506

As always your comments, opinions and critiques are encouraged!

Thanks for looking!

steven carter
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Really nice Steve. Beautiful wood that she may not appreciate fully until she is older, but still a great heirloom for her.

Brodie Brickey
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Steve,

Very nice. Beautiful curly maple.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
That is beautiful Steve out of some beautiful wood. She is going to love it.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 2:30 PM
Oh she will be thrilled Steve, girls and mirrors are naturals ;->, we have 3 granddaughters, the oldest did turn 5 recently, and I have ben thinking of making a mirror or two, this did give me another push do do it.
I like the simple lines you used, as the very beautiful wood will take all the attention, thanks for showing Steve.

David Walser
08-25-2008, 3:11 PM
Steve,

That looks like a wonderful gift for your granddaughter. As usual, your photography is excellent.

One question: Can you point me to a tutorial on how to make such a mirror? I've seen them made in two pieces, where the handle and the mirror frame are turned separately, but you seem to have turned this out of one piece of wood. If that's the case, I'm have a hard time understanding how you got the edge of the mirror frame so flat -- unless that part of the shape wasn't turned on the lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2008, 3:27 PM
Dave,

I'll bet he mounted it three times....First in the plane to turn the handle and then in the other plane to turn front of the mirror and then reversed it to turn the back....

Nicely done Steve! She'll love it now and appreciate it as an heirloom later! Nicely done!

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2008, 3:30 PM
David - I was wondering when folks would start questioning how this was turned! The handle was turned spindle style, the face and back were turned face grain style and then the edge of the body (the flat part you noticed) was touched up on a disk sander.

Thanks everyone - for all the kind comments!

David Walser
08-25-2008, 3:41 PM
David - I was wondering when folks would start questioning how this was turned! The handle was turned spindle style, the face and back were turned face grain style and then the edge of the body (the flat part you noticed) was touched up on a disk sander.

Thanks everyone - for all the kind comments!

Thanks, Steve, that answers my question. What size blank did you start with? I assume, you could have made it from a piece of 4/4 curly maple 3.5" wide by about 8" long.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2008, 4:03 PM
The blank was actually only 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" and is the reason behind using the acrylic jewel to extend the short handle. Would have loved to have had a larger piece of wood to work with - but you use what you have.

robert hainstock
08-25-2008, 8:10 PM
Another "winner" Is that more of the "Bell Forest Products stock? :):)
Bob

Maylon Harvey
08-25-2008, 9:03 PM
Steve,
We have 4 granddaughters all turning 3 this year (3 parties down, one yet to go), does that mean I have to turn 4 of them. It would probably take me at least that many tries before I got one to look half as nice as yours.

Toney Robertson
08-25-2008, 9:16 PM
Steve,

Great looking mirror.

Another thing to put on my list or "I need to turn that".

Toney

Rick Gifford
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I love it. Especially ideas I could someday use for my granddaughter. What little girl won't like a mirror made by her own pappa?

Thanks for sharing! Looks great.

Pete Jordan
08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Well done Gramps!

Jim Becker
08-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Beautiful work, Steve!