PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Double Chest Take 2

Calvin Hobbs
08-25-2008, 8:58 AM
All,

I finally finished my Charleston Double Chest project and took a few poor pictures. You probably have seen my Dad's double chest thread here on Sawmill Creek.

The piece is on the cover of "Thomas Elfe, Cabinetmaker" by Samuel Humphrey. The book also includes measured drawings, so I can't take any credit for the design, it is a straight repro.

Materials: South American Mahogany from Irion Lumber (24" boards for sides). Bald Cypress for secondary.

Hardware: Ball and Ball pulls, Horton Brasses for locks

Dimensions: 77"H x 46"W x 24"Deep

Finish: Aniline Dye, Shellac, and Wax

This was quite an undertaking for me, started in January and after one hard week in January, finished the rest of it over mostly nights after 9pm. It was fun but sometimes grueling. I know for one drawer, the cockbeading seemed pretty easy, after 11 drawers I was pretty worn out. So it is great to have it behind me so I can work on new stuff.

I must give much credit to Don Harris, Matt Hobbs, and especially my Dad Ben Hobbs for all the work he did in stock prep and general figuring out the piece as we were all building one of these (Matt is the only one not finished). Without the teamwork of that first week I don't how much longer it would have taken to get finished.

So I would love to hear any questions or comments, or criticisms. Thanks for checking it out.

Later, Cal

John Thompson
08-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Extremely well done, Calvin. I was fortunate enough to meet you dad Ben at the IWF a few days ago as you know from your cell phone call to him as he dropped by the Steel City booth. I hope you were cut from the same mold as your dad who is a very outstanding and talented man. :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Calvin Hobbs
08-25-2008, 1:19 PM
Sarge,

Glad you and Dad got to meet, I would love to say I am like my Dad in many ways but I can leave that judgment to others. He certainly sets a high mark to reach in my opinion.

Thanks for the comment on the chest. Cal

Jacob Mac
08-25-2008, 1:31 PM
Beautiful work. I am just getting started in WW, but my goal is to be able to build furniture like that after a little while. Great job.

Don C Peterson
08-25-2008, 2:42 PM
Fantastic work Calvin.

John Thompson
08-25-2008, 2:50 PM
"He certainly sets a high mark to reach in my opinion".. Calvin

Setting high marks is a Dad's job. And life is short really... if you bother to go to the Olympics... why not "go for the Gold" in lieu of silver or bronze or also ran... :)

Sarge..

Nate Rogers
08-25-2008, 5:44 PM
Very, Very well done!!! Congrats!

gary Zimmel
08-25-2008, 8:29 PM
Beautiful piece of furniture Calvin.

Excellent job!

Bill Wyko
08-26-2008, 1:54 PM
Absolutely georgous Calvin. Great job.

Jason Tuinstra
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Simply fantastic. It's great to come to SMC and see this caliber of craftsmanship. Truly inspiring.

Calvin Hobbs
08-27-2008, 2:45 PM
Thanks all of you for your comments. Like my Dad said in his double chest thread, a project like this is within anyone's reach, because it is only a long series of relatively simple steps that we all can do.

I just happen to have a great blessing in that I get to partner with my family and work through a project every year. It adds much more to my life than just another piece of furniture. Cal

Dave Zeigler
08-27-2008, 3:43 PM
That is a very nice example of craftsmanship. I'm setting up my shop and my skill set is somewhere between bird house and spice rack. LOL! Seeing projects like this makes me anxious to get my shop interior finished. I hope to live long enough to build something as nice!

Great job!

Dave Zeigler

Michael Sobik
08-27-2008, 5:29 PM
Wow, that is incredible! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Guy Germaine
08-27-2008, 6:29 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Andrew Long
08-28-2008, 3:43 PM
Calvin,

Very nice work! I am familiar with the piece you did (from that book). Just curious how you do the fret or scroll work under the top (Thomas Elfe's 'signature'). Is that carved out?

Calvin Hobbs
08-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Calvin,

Very nice work! I am familiar with the piece you did (from that book). Just curious how you do the fret or scroll work under the top (Thomas Elfe's 'signature'). Is that carved out?

Andrew,

Thanks for your comment. The fret work: Since I was making potentially enough fretwork for 4 chests I bandsawed strips of mahogany to a heavy 1/6th, scraped them, then ganged them together and cut them out with a scrollsaw. Then each individual piercing was cleaned up with chisels, and finally the fretwork was applied to the case with hide glue. Are you thinking of building it? You should....CH

Andrew Long
08-29-2008, 8:14 AM
Are you thinking of building it? You should....CH

My wife and I visited Charleston last fall, and toured most of the old homes and nosed around the local antique shops. Got lots of pictures and ideas. I have the book mentioned, and have been trying to get the three book set on Charleston furniture (very pricey, but obtainable), mostly for ideas.

The Thomas Elfe double chest is certainly one I admire, and is on my future list of pieces I would like to tackle, but need do a couple other pieces for our home first. I have some very nice Cherry off our property set aside for a grandfather clock and a huntboard table to use in our foyer. I had planned on the chests or highboy project after that. These projects will keep me occupied for a while :D

You & your father are very talented craftsman, keep up the great work. Cherish those pieces and keep them in your family; they will make wonderful heirlooms.

Cody Colston
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Outstanding work as usual, Calvin. I always look forward to seeing your family's yearly project pictures. You guys are a talented bunch.

Tom Sontag
08-31-2008, 12:22 AM
... Are you thinking of building it? You should....CH

I am not sure you can say this Calvin. Yes it is achievable. Yes it would be a magnificent accomplishment (as yours is). But I found myself nodding my head to each hardship you mentioned; a big piece like this is like a marathon and it is easy to get discouraged. Not everyone finishes the marathon.

I find my temperament much more suited to smaller projects where I seem to do just fine. I am quite glad to tip my hat to those who can tackle and finish a large complex project, no matter how simple the steps may be. But I know first hand that, like simply jogging 26.2 miles, it isn't for everyone.

I applaud your success.

Jim Becker
08-31-2008, 5:00 PM
Outstanding, Calvin!

Bill Wyko
08-31-2008, 5:40 PM
OMG thats absolutely georgous. Just fantastic. A+++++++++

C Scott McDonald
09-01-2008, 9:32 PM
Really nice Calvin,

I have a couple of questions. How is the top hest connected to the bottom chest? Also how did you do the reverse flutes or whatever they call them?

Thanks,
Scott

Calvin Hobbs
09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I am not sure you can say this Calvin. Yes it is achievable. Yes it would be a magnificent accomplishment (as yours is). But I found myself nodding my head to each hardship you mentioned; a big piece like this is like a marathon and it is easy to get discouraged. Not everyone finishes the marathon.

I find my temperament much more suited to smaller projects where I seem to do just fine. I am quite glad to tip my hat to those who can tackle and finish a large complex project, no matter how simple the steps may be. But I know first hand that, like simply jogging 26.2 miles, it isn't for everyone.

I applaud your success.

Certainly I understand your point Tom, and sticking to it seemed tough especially working through all those drawers. But my main point is to encourage others that there is nothing that "complicated" about a major piece if you break it down. Although I probably couldn't run a marathon tomorrow I think I could run a half mile a day for 10 weeks and make it to the end.

Thanks for your comment on the chest. Didn't I see somewhere that you are building the Townsend chest from Jeffrey Greene's book? If so, that is a great piece and I have the wood to make one myself (no, not from Lumber Logs unfortunately). How's the progress? Thanks again, Cal

Calvin Hobbs
09-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Really nice Calvin,

I have a couple of questions. How is the top hest connected to the bottom chest? Also how did you do the reverse flutes or whatever they call them?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the comments on the chest. The top case simple sits on the lower case, gravity does the work. The stop-fluting was cut with a scratch stock that I filed to shape on a triangular jig/fixture to ride the fence on (my brother Matt made the jig). The tops and bottoms of the reeds were cut with a carving gouge. Thanks again, Cal

mreza Salav
09-02-2008, 1:01 AM
very nicely done!! looks just great.

Tom Sontag
09-02-2008, 7:15 PM
Didn't I see somewhere that you are building the Townsend chest from Jeffrey Greene's book? ... How's the progress?

Yes, in curly maple. I love the proportions of that piece.

Um, it is just possible that even a five drawer chest presents me with the kind of marathon issues I mentioned. This is my first use of hand cut DTs as a prominent feature (they'd been hidden or insignificant to the overall piece before now), and the carcass ones came out fine. It is possible that maybe the second half blind attempt was disappointing enough to set aside the whole thing for a while. Let's equate it to you twisting your ankle on one of those half mile runs. My ankle is feeling a bit better; I should be on the road again soon.

Ben Hobbs
09-02-2008, 9:12 PM
It looks great, and it is surprsing how much room is in it. It was certainly fun to do this partly together and am looking forward to our next project. I guess Ernie will let us know what the project will be anyday now. You guys make me so proud. Dad (Ben Hobbs)

Roy Wall
09-07-2008, 6:21 PM
Calvin -

That is a Big Boy for sure and takes some serious talent to pull it off - awesome!!!

I had the pleasure of seeing just the unfinished carcasses back in Feb. and it was terrific then.....now simply spectacular. I think I'll come over in a few weeks and see it in person again :)

There is a huge amount of hand work in this piece and Calvin just works it to perfection.........

Bruce Page
09-07-2008, 6:42 PM
Calvin, I am always caught speechless when I look at your work.