PDA

View Full Version : Demo of a Laser Workstation

David Dustin
08-25-2008, 8:28 AM
Here is a screen recording of a real-time demo I made for a company that makes Diode pumped lasers.
http://www.dustinproductions.com/lasonall/Camtasia/lasonall-demo.html

We were thinking initially of getting one of these systems but decided against it.

The real-time stuff is pretty cool because it is an .exe that you can open and move around in, kind of like a video game.
(I should have found a Britsh person to do the voice over, as my yankee/georgian accent bugs the snot out me when I listen to it)

(have I mentioned I am an engineerd?)

I may do one for my new Universal system.
There are downloadable real-time apps on my other site if you would like to try it. It is kind of hit or miss as to whether they play or not. The main audience is supposed to be higher-end computer users (high end means horsepower). Your mileage may vary. http://www.dustinproductions.com/realtime.htm

Let me know what you think
David

Frank Corker
08-25-2008, 9:03 AM
Wow David, that is really cool stuff, those animations for the car accidents are just amazing. I assume there is quite a lot of work going into making each one, but it is very realistic to watch.

David Dustin
08-25-2008, 9:26 AM
Frank,
Thanks for the kind words,
Yes there is a lot of work that goes into them and LOTS of computer horsepower.
We have 25 computers that get used for their creation.
The best ones are the 6 Dell 690 work stations with dual Xeon processors, and 64 bit operating systems (grunt, grunt).

David
EDIT: Did anyone try the real-time downloads? Just wondering..

Frank Corker
08-25-2008, 3:55 PM
Yes I did - I tried the bike. Brilliant. I did notice that on one of the pages, you use the 'meteor' as the title saying it was initially like a joke, it is actually in the mixed clips at the front but it doesn't show the meteor. I think the link is wrong. If you have a look you will see what I mean.

David Dustin
08-25-2008, 5:26 PM
Frank,
You are correct about the link, I fixed it.
Thanks for pointing it out and for the kind words regarding the real-time example.

I have not had a paying gig for that application yet, even though the software to export that is pretty spendy (i'm not goning to tell you how much either).

I did think about making a real-time version of some of the products we'll make (as soon as we decide on which ones). The software does a nice job of making things look photo realistic in a real-time environment.

Thanks again,
David