PDA

View Full Version : How to on diamond segment hexagons

Mike Golka
08-25-2008, 12:25 AM
A down and dirty how to on diamond segment hexagons.

Paul Douglass
08-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Very nice, thank you

Dana Berenson
08-25-2008, 11:31 AM
This is a great tutorial.

2 questions:
1) Do you know of any web sites that provide more options for designs like this?
2) Any thoughts on doing a tutorial like this on fitting half-round pieces in the middle of a square piece?

Thanks for the info! This is very helpful!

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks Mike.

Dave Stoler
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
A huge THANK YOU...More options are always better but with this I,m off and running.I beleive I have seen this referred to as "stick work." But a google search doesn,t give much.
Again, Thank you
Dave

Mike Golka
08-25-2008, 7:11 PM
This is a great tutorial.

2 questions:
1) Do you know of any web sites that provide more options for designs like this?
2) Any thoughts on doing a tutorial like this on fitting half-round pieces in the middle of a square piece?

Thanks for the info! This is very helpful!

Dana in answer to your questions:
#1, no sorry, but if you search "segmented turning" you may get ideas from other peoples work. Thats what I do, look at their designs and figure out how I would be able to achieve something similar.
#2, not exactly sure what you mean but it is much easier to work with staight lines as you can sand for tight joints. All of the pieces I've seen with curved edges are accomplished with a router and jig. See the info on this site: http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/seg_turn.shtml
I can't do a tutorial because I have never done anything like this:(

Dave Mcintire
08-25-2008, 8:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your secrets. I wish more turners would do this. I would like to especially see how to do the "feathers" on the top surface of segmented vessels.

Robert McGowen
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Mike,

Do you have any problem with these wanting to come apart or the seams to separate due to the different grain orientations being glued together. I cut some scraps out to play with the design and I am not sure how well it would hold up. Anyone have any thoughts?