PDA

View Full Version : Made a "fixed base" for my PM14 Bandsaw

Lewis Cobb
08-24-2008, 9:14 PM
Something didn't sit well with me assembling my new 14" Powermatic bandsaw with the base on the concrete floor. Maybe it was the knowledge that eventually I'd be scraping it around and tearing up the underside of it and then someday in the future it would rust. So I made a little fixed base with a scrap of MDF and some hockey pucks for feet. I got out of hand and contoured the edge to match the curved front of the base, and then rounded it over and painted it.

I'm going to make a mobile base someday (after I learn how to weld)but at the glacial pace things happen in my shop, that could be quite some time. In the meantime, this will work for me and I can shuffle it around without beating up the painted steel base.

I think it turned out pretty good.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Bandsaw/BandsawBase11.jpg

Bruce Page
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Very nice upgrade.
Why can't the manufactures come up with something like that?

pat warner
08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I like and concur.
Moreover, the after and fore market stands work about as well as a bad shopping cart for me.
So I made one (http://patwarner.com/images/stand_corner.jpg)with 250 pound casters.

Don Bullock
08-25-2008, 6:57 AM
It's hard to tell where the base the saw came with and the one you made begins. It looks great.

Lewis Cobb
08-25-2008, 7:42 AM
I have to admit, I was quite shocked at how well the thing came out and looked like it came from the factory. For such a simple thing it had me smiling when I installed it and stood back and took a look at it.

Thanks for the thumbs up comments fellows !

Lewis

Heather Thompson
08-25-2008, 2:03 PM
Lewis,

Very nice work, may have to chuck my store bought version, all others keep an eye on the classifieds!

Heather

John Thompson
08-25-2008, 9:55 PM
Nicely done Lewis... and matching gloss black finish. Whew.... :cool:

Sarge..

Mike Goetzke
08-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Lewis - really looks like it's from the factory.

(Upgrade it with street hockey pucks/balls and you have your mobile base:D.)

Mike