PDA

View Full Version : What A Weekend!!!!

todd johnson
08-24-2008, 6:45 PM
Friday Evening - Took my daughter and her friend to a girl scout camp. No issues, everything fine. Got home just to find out that the sewer line is backed up somewhere and flooded the family room (bottom floor) soaking the carpet. Me and the wife cleaned up what we could, pulled up the carpet, used the shopvac's etc.
Saturday Morning - Figured out the stoppage was between the house and the street. Ran about 45' of snake, popped the stoppage out. Spent the morning moving furniture, pulling out the carpet/padding and taking it all to the dump and cleaning the garage. Spent the rest of the day and evening putting in the resilient flooring (no more carpet in that room) up to the concrete that hadn't dried yet.

Sunday Morning - That's when we realized that the stoppage wasn't fully cleared. After taking a shower, using the toilets, etc. I went downstairs and said to myself - "Gee, that flooring sure looks glossy". Spent the rest of the day cleaning the room AGAIN, putting in another snake, and using one of those line cleaners that go on the end of a garden hose that expand then blow the line with force. I ran enough water into the sewer line to fill the kid's pool a couple of times over and it hasn't backed up yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can get a break by going to work.

mark page
08-24-2008, 7:04 PM
And I thought I had a bad couple weeks. Now I feel much better.

David G Baker
08-24-2008, 7:11 PM
Todd,
Sometimes it is much cheaper to call Roto Rooter and get it done right the first time.

todd johnson
08-24-2008, 7:21 PM
Todd,
Sometimes it is much cheaper to call Roto Rooter and get it done right the first time.

I called roto rooter and they were going to charge $250.00 just to run 50" of snake. That is insane. I already had to buy new flooring whether I call them or not so I wasn't about to give them $250 for something that I can do easily myself. If it isn't clear, then I'll go buy a line clearer for 300 at Lowes before I give them gougers a dime. I think that as soon as I told them where the stoppage was at, the price immediately went up since they knew that we couldn't use anything in the house at the time.

Anthony Anderson
08-24-2008, 7:59 PM
Actually, Roto Rooter would have been a safer route to go. I know it is easy to see them as gougers, but there is a reason that they charge the prices they do. If that was 50" (in your original post), then yes, that was expensive, however if that was 50' (feet), then that is not bad. They are professionals, and you are also paying for that experience. They also have cameras that they can attach to the snakes, and if there is a severe blockage, they can tell you how bad it is *(roots and such), if you should get the main sewer line replaced, and if it will present itself again in 6 months or not, if you don't get it replaced. I have nothing to do with Roto Rooter, and have never used their service, but I do know that professionals, regardless of profession, should expect to get paid for a professional service. Just think if you get that new floor down, and have another backup. That will make 3 times you have cleaned the floor, 2 times that you have taken up the floor, + all the hassle of trying to figure this mess out for yourself = a bunch of headaches and aggravation, when...you should have bitten the bullet, and done it right the first time. Good Luck, with your project, I hope it works out for you. My guess though, is you are temporarily unblocking the drain, but you are not taking care of the underlying problem. It will keep coming back. Keep us posted. Bill

Kevin Arceneaux
08-24-2008, 8:33 PM
I agree with calling in a pro. I do a lot of things at home, but there are times when I know to call a pro. Plumbing is the #1 thing that will get a pro to my house. I will not even change a toilet out. I want them to do so that - #1 I don't have to hear "I told you to call ***** and get them to do it right, and #2 (related to #1) I have someone to complain to if it leaks, and #3 warranty.

todd johnson
08-24-2008, 9:02 PM
I have no idea what may have been the problem since there aren't any trees or anything obvious at all. So far it's been good to go. As for calling in the pro's, I'll do that in a second on anything with electrical and gas. As for anything else, I'll give it a shot first if I have a slight chance at getting it done. The flooring I'm putting in is the resiliant type out of home depot - water won't hurt it so I won't have to rebuy any of it. Like the other guy said though - I would have to go through the hassle of getting it cleaned up again. As for doing it right the first time though, there's nothing wrong with giving it a try first before resorting to something that will cost that much when the only thing it may cost you is some time when you have the time. There's a lot of things that individuals can take care of by themselves before resorting to expensive procedures. Besides, the damage had already been done with the ruining of the carpet. The only thing it'll cost me is the hassle of cleanup again. If it ain't fixed and does come back, then I will call someone, wife won't give me the option.

Jim Becker
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Todd, check your insurance coverage...depending on your policy, you may have coverage for your damages. (My policy would cover this)

todd johnson
08-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Todd, check your insurance coverage...depending on your policy, you may have coverage for your damages. (My policy would cover this)

Never thought of that. Will definitely check on it. As for the other guys, I'll keep ya'll posted if things go south and I end up having to call in a pro so you guys can get your "told ya so" in.

Anthony Anderson
08-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Never thought of that. Will definitely check on it. As for the other guys, I'll keep ya'll posted if things go south and I end up having to call in a pro so you guys can get your "told ya so" in.

Hey Todd, I wouldn't do that:). I have made so many mistakes, and have gotten soooo many "I told ya so", that I would not do that to a fellow creeker. I usually try to solve a problem myself as well, but those waste/drain lines to the street, can cause so many problems other than not letting the waste make it to the street, that I will call in a pro with a camera in a second. Also, I try to imagine if I had to go out to someone's house to have to unplug someone's sewer line. They deserve every penny they charge, IMO. That is just not a job that I would want. Let us know either way, good or not so good. Good advice from Jim B. (as always), to check with your insurance co. for flood/sewer backup coverage. We have it as well, but just didn't think of it, until Jim mentioned it. Really, Good Luck. Bill