PDA

View Full Version : considering a spiral head for my Grizzly 20" planer

dale rex
08-24-2008, 5:33 PM
any hints tips or suggestions? probably leaning more towards the Grizzly model because of the cost. Gonna install it myself,.... any special tools needed?

Ray Scheller
08-24-2008, 6:36 PM
If you're going to upgrade why not consider a helical head replacement? If you work at all with figured wood you can't go wrong with it because it gives you very smooth results. I have the Powermatic 209HH 20" helical head planer and like it a lot. My $.02 worth.

dale rex
08-24-2008, 8:23 PM
guess i should have clarified that...........I want the helical head with the carbide cutters. I realize that Grizzly has spiral head with steel blades that follow a spiral pattern accross the head. That isnt what I am after. Grizzly has two models of helical heads........one is the Grizzly brand and the other is Shelix. The Grizzly brand is less expensive and according to previous reviews is comparable to the more expensive Shelix head.:o

Ron Bontz
08-24-2008, 8:54 PM
Have you considered just selling the planer you have if its a Grizzly and buying another Grizzly planer with the helix already on it? I know shop fox makes one that is not too bad as well. :)

Charlie Plesums
08-24-2008, 11:27 PM
..(snip)..Grizzly has two models of helical heads........one is the Grizzly brand and the other is Shelix. The Grizzly brand is less expensive and according to previous reviews is comparable to the more expensive Shelix head.:o

Both cutters make smaller chips (good for cooling and dust collection) and spread the cutting load around the head (quieter, smoother running). The Byrd Shelix head has the carbides at an angle, so that they shear the wood, instead a straight cut. Grizzly finally added the Shelix line in addition to their spiral head due to obvious demand. I wouldn't expect to see a difference in routine use, but I would expect less tear-out in tough cases.

I don't know about all the options, but I recently got a Shelix head for my shaper, direct from Byrd Tool, and it was cheaper than the comparable Grizzly spiral cutter.