PDA

View Full Version : County Fair is Blue Ribbon day for me !!!

Paul Engle
08-24-2008, 2:27 PM
The county fair has come and gone , but I was graced with 4 blue ribbons! The cookie segmented jar is mahogany,oak,purple heart , maple and walnut 126 ( ?) pieces not including the knob ( RA approved) sealed inside with epoxy and silicone O ring seal, finished in 3 coats poly gloss no buff.
Next is my "milk bottle" burled maple / bubinga " label" and basket weave ( OT) patter on the " label" , walnut " cap " with basket weave on lower edge to look like crimped old style paper cap 6" dia x 11" hf, taper to 2" opening, finished 4 coats poly gloss no buff. Next is hf burl maple w/ walnut collar 5" dia x 3 " tall , collar is 3/4" opening, finished with 4 coats poly gloss no buffing and last but the best ( got the most comments from the judges) walnut box 3x5" with (OT)basket weave top and bottom with grooves at the joint and barley corn scroll on top finished in 4 coats lacquer , no buffing.Best show was hand carved grapes with leaves .... just beautiful and Champion ( arts and crafts ) was recycled John Deere tractor seat welded to jack shaft welded to a combine sprocked 22" long and painted green ( of course ) and yellow.... go figure ;)
Not too shabby for a 59 yr old with less than 2 yrs experience ...I was very fortunate to have a group like SMC to inspire me and share their ideas with me . May God Bless you all !!!!!

Mike Henderson
08-24-2008, 2:36 PM
Congratulations! From the look of your work, the ribbons were well deserved.

BTW, what's the story of the MACV patch as your avatar?

Mike

Eugene Malone
08-24-2008, 2:41 PM
Paul,those are some beautyfull pieces of work, I wonder who has a corner cabinet big enough for the tractor and combine. Congrats. top class and not bad for a young one. REgards Eugene Malone.

Steve Schlumpf
08-24-2008, 3:09 PM
Paul - congrats on all those blue ribbons! Glad to see you get the recognition! Course you know, award winning artist - makes all your prices go way up!!! Congrats again - very nice work!

robert hainstock
08-24-2008, 4:54 PM
Me thinks you've given many of us an idea tor the furure. Whoda thunk ofthe fair as a place to get reccocognition? :):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 4:57 PM
Congrats on your fair winnings. You did well with some top notch turnings.

Richard Madison
08-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Way to go Paul! Nice work.

I got second place in a juried show one time, and my piece was the only entry.

Ron McKinley
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice work Paul. Congratulations! .......Ron

Jim Kountz
08-28-2008, 8:43 PM
Years ago when my Granddad was doing his segmented bowls he gave one to me and without him knowing it I entered it in the county fair. He too took home blue. He was really humbled but the whole thing and his eyes just beamed when I showed the ribbon to him. He would have never done something like this on his own but was glad I did it for him. One of those memories I will never forget.